• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time- Baby Tiel. Help?

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
Alright :)
How do you recommend teaching birds to step up? For me I'm not sure how to hold the millet spray or what exactly to do. I tested it out earlier on when I had him just to see, and he would try to stretch forward and get the millet but would bite and squeal at the finger below him. Do you just put the finger against the bump by his lower stomach? I've seen many videos on teaching birds to step up but they were all quite different and dealt with extremely tame birds most times.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You don't have to use a finger. I think I already mentioned, one of my birds steps up on the back of my hand, the other on my covered arm or shoulder. Many birds do not like fingers. Try using the millet as a lure on other parts of your hand/arm.

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
That's a good idea :) he doesn't fancy my finger but he is pretty comfortable with my hand. I put it in his cage a few times today without food and he doesn't run away, he even put his foot on it once but retracted it. He seems curious about it but not sure what to do.
If I teach him to step up with my hand, do I press the side of my hand under his stomach still or do something else?
Oh! Also, when do you know its okay to pet them? I haven't tried but I would imagine it takes a lot of trust before you can pet them

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
Another good update this morning
I offered my hand and he stared at it again, usually starts preening when I do. I think it's his method of pretending I'm not there! ;)
But after I put a few drops of millet he stepped on it and ate but wasn't quite interested.
So I tried something bold
Considering how he's doing very well with my hand lately and hasn't tried to bite it or run away, I held out a finger in front of him (didn't push on him though) and a stick of millet spray in my other hand to lure him towards the finger. Surprisingly before I could even say anything or attempt to move it closer he jumped right on my finger (and scooted down to the side of my wrist) and ate. I said step up even if it was late, and praised him and gave him a bite of the millet. I gestured him to go back on his perch and he did. So I tried again but this time I held my finger closer to him and he did it again. On the third time he got on (more reluctantly I think though, can't remember if he bit me) and sat on my wrist. He tried going up my arm but when I prompted him to go back to his cage he squealed at me so I just assumed he wanted on my shoulder again. He crawled up my arm and sat on my shoulder again for a few minutes, playing with my hair and grinding his beak, preening. I tried to get him to step up from my shoulder onto my finger but he got mad so I just scolded him and put the treat away. He sat there for a while until I put my arm in the cage and tried to see if he wanted back in. He would scoot back behind my head and refused to go in. So. I showed him the millet spray and dropped it in his food and he (a bit reluctantly) went back in his cage.

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
Wow, he started screaming while I was in the other room and all he wanted was out of the cage. Crawled up my arm immediately. He definitely seems to like hanging out on me, but doesn't step up. He just immediately crawls up my arm. Difficult though because I can't get him back in the cage as easily.. I have to bend down and put my entire arm in the cage until he decides to get off. ;p

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He considers you his flock now!:fairy2: He wants to be with you.

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
I'm so glad! He started screaming again.. What a habit. To get them to stop screaming do you ignore them until they stop, THEN go in? I heard some say that you should show them screaming doesn't get them what they want.
He's so silly. Hasn't really sung or anything today, but he has been screaming.. Lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's best to try to ignore the screaming. Giving attention to the screaming will reinforce that behavior.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
We always wait for Buddy to stop screaming before we get her. If she flock calls, I'll call back and check on her, but screaming gets nada.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Make sure it's not a flock call, because I think it's helpful to answer those. Maybe you can post a video. Routines are also helpful. In addition, let him out for at least 30 minutes or more every time. Let him feel like he had a good chunk of fun with you. When it's time to put him back, make sure you reward him every time, and that he is a little hungry.

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
I see :)
I googled cockatiel flock call and it was definitely a match.
Now when I re place his food and water in the morning he immediately freaks out, crawling all over the cage door and chirping and goes on me. Still difficult when he cannot step up on command so getting him off is also a hassle. And I figured out he still hates fingers. If you put one in front of him he won't mind much he just nibbled a few times. But after attempting to pet him he got a little angry.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Some birds never like getting pet, while others love it. I would hold off on that for now.

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
Yeah, that sounds good.
How do you recommend I get him back in his cage? He doesn't step up on command as I said but rather more when he wants to specifically sit on shoulder.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Does he get to hang out for at least 30 minutes? Have you tried luring him back with millet? Try to keep him hungry so he's more willing to go back for a treat. Reward him every single time. You might start saying a command like, "Time to go home, off, home", etc.

I think you mentioned you watched a Barbara Heidenreich training video. Those are really good resources. You might try target training while he is in the cage. When he has learned it really well you could try targeting him to go back to his cage. If he doesn't like fingers, you can do step up on your arm.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Today my naughty parrotlet would not return to his cage - he got on my head. So I stuck my head in the cage and waved him off!!!

Hey whatever works!

Maqpie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zoe V.
Haha, they're so ornery sometimes!!
Is there a way to prevent them pooping on you? I love having him on my shoulder but i usually end up with two or three poops on my shoulder or arm ;p i know you can potty train them but I'm not sure if I'm up to that, least not now. Are there other ways? How do you guys handle it?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can use a towel, designated shirt, or a cape, but what I do is wear my birdie clothes when I'm at home and the birds are out. Don't worry, you'll get used to it!:wacky: