• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finding a balance

Rue

Moving in
So we just got a GW two days ago, and I was wondering what people suggest for having her become comfortable with us.
She's been in and out of her cage, stepped up, danced and overall seems pretty happy. But conversely, she also was angry with me the first day after I had her step up off the top of the cage and put her back in, and bit me twice afterwards. Totally fine with my mom and brother.
She let it go after we let her be for an hour or so, and was back to dancing and stepping up to move to a perch by the window, but after we tried getting her to shower, she's been really timid and will climb to the back of the cage if we try to have her step up...she still talks to us and plays, but won't let us take her out at all. I know it will take some time for her to be comfortable completely with us and trust us, but we also don't want her to form any habits and get used to never stepping up, biting etc.
how do you set a balance with a new bird?

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes it takes time for them to settle in. As far as her not coming out of the cage, as I approach the cage & open the door I repeat "step up" watch her body language, head pointed out a hawk ready to attack, pinning of the eyes...if she doesn't respond in a positive manner, close the door & walk away for a few minutes & try again. might take a while but I feel this is really important to train them to do this as you don't want to be struggling with this if a emergency should arise and you need to get her out quickly. Always reward positive behavior w/ a treat she doesn't normally get. Enjoy her & most all patience's...something I don't have alot of but owning birds has made me better.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
There are many things you can teach without touching your bird at all ..step up isnt as important as everyone makes it out to be ...check out Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots ..this webinar is free and has all sorts of great information in it that should help you ...getting your parrots trust should be your first concern :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Target training is great for birds that are not comfortable with physical contact. It can also be helpful with getting a bird into, or out of, a cage.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Ambient attention: hang out with her while listening to music (experiment and see what music she likes) or read to her. She will come to you when she's ready. Is she a baby? Young?

Rue

Moving in
We were told she's around 6. she was raised as a breeder in not the best conditions, and her last owner, who rescues parrots, trained her for two years as a companion/pet. And considering its only been 3 days she's very well settled in most ways, takes food from my hands, steps up from her perch, lets some people scritch and shows a lot of habits people say show she's comfortable and happy. And she's not scared of us being at her cage, she'll even take treats from our hands in the cage. Its just if you try the step up arm motion from in the cage. I think mostly I'm concerned that she let us before, didn't seem opposed to showering, didnt try to move away or anything, but after that suddenly wont step up from in the cage.

I'm guessing I just need to work on my patience :ashamed1:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, patience is a necessity: parrots don't fit with our society's "fast food" mentality. They have, God willing, longer lifespans than most companion animals, so you really have to take the long view in forging a relationship, especially with an older bird.

Harry, my 4 year old bratty BTM, has been with me since he was 6 months. He simply does not want to step up in his cage. I could force him, but what good would come from that? He's tame, enjoys spending time with me, and does a few behaviors. I accept who he is and what he's comfortable with. Mutual "like" is huge. Your relationship will develop over time.

And use rewards! When she does something that you deem to be positive, give her praise and a coveted treat, like a pine nut. Expect to take baby steps and expect setbacks. And any improvement is just that...improvement. I think that, sometimes, we want a touchdown when we really only need a field goal. Be patient and let her set the pace. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Reactions: Rue