• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

File for Nails/Beaks?

Budgietiel

Moving in
Real Name
Clarissa Williams
It also says in the reviews that it is not that powerful so that’s what got me thinking..

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Lots of people use dremels so I'd imagine that would be ok. I'm not sure I'd use it on a smaller birds thou. I see you have a budgie as your avatar. Is that the kind of bird you have? If so you're probably better off with just a regular nail file. It's been a while since I've looked after little one's toes. Hopefully people with small birds will chime in :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I don't file my budgie and lovebird toenails, I just use a regular nail clipper and remove the sharp little tips from the nails. Once you teach your bird to tolerate being held firmly in a washcloth or small towel, the clipper is faster and easier.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don't file my budgie and lovebird toenails, I just use a regular nail clipper and remove the sharp little tips from the nails. Once you teach your bird to tolerate being held firmly in a washcloth or small towel, the clipper is faster and easier.
I second the regular clippers. I bought a pair that are meant for trimming kitty claws and the like, but honestly I find it easier to see how much I'm nipping off with regular fingernail clippers. Sherbie has to be toweled, but I can get Rupert to lay on his back and let me trim normally. I just have to go slow and usually his right foot is harder to get hold of because I've got him in my left hand and he will ball up his foot. :rolleyes:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also have cat claw clippers that I've used to trim birds' toenails although now I take them to the vet for their pedicures.
With Spee I use a nail file but I make sure to use one that has a rounded end and not one with a pointed end.
Always have a clotting agent such as Kwik Stop on hand in case you cut into a vein.

Budgietiel

Moving in
Real Name
Clarissa Williams
You guys are all so helpful!!! Thank you :hug8: