• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feet problems -Any advice?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I don’t often post about my flocks health, but I could do with some advice.
A little over a week ago LJ started acting different. He was not acting sick just different. Extended periods of napping laying down. Otherwise acting normal.
Yesterday I checked his feet and they look red and slightly sore.
Honestly it makes complete sense with his changed behaviour, and I am kicking myself for not checking sooner :(
I plan to ring the vets a little later and see if it’s possible for him to come with me tomorrow as I’ll be going there anyway.
I am partly glad it’s LJ because I don’t know when I would have noticed if it was one of the others (he’s the only one who lets me hold him without trying to bite me to pieces)
So, advice I am looking for is some ways to keep him comfortable?
I don’t have platform perches, rope perches, or vet wrap which I really wish I did for this situation :arghh:
I am wondering if setting him up in the travel cage for a little while would help? I don’t like seperating any of them for extended periods of time, but will do what needs to be done.
Pictures of what his feet look like today, sorry about quality I am trying not to stress him to much, especially if he’s going to the vet.
Last picture is from yesterday.
C4CBB339-0C5C-403D-91FB-96F4CD6B86D9.jpeg 9E195998-C330-4F1C-BB77-533392A02958.jpeg
6B82AF8B-A94D-4AF7-9AD4-013B21A3A5F5.jpeg

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
What kind of per he's is he on?
Those look like pressure sores which can later become bumble foot.

Do you have any fleece that you can wrap around perches? Or just something varied in the cage to get him off those sores?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
What kind of per he's is he on?
Those look like pressure sores which can later become bumble foot.

Do you have any fleece that you can wrap around perches? Or just something varied in the cage to get him off those sores?
Their cage has four natural perches (all of different widths), a dowel ladder (I’ve never seen him use it), and they have acrylic feeders which have plastic perches at the front.
I have fleece somewhere I’ll just have to search for it. I can get vet wrap to use tomorrow.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That definitely seems like the start of bumble foot. I'd try to get him some platforms and rope perches as soon as you can. When Nala got bumble foot which I still cant believe because her entire 11 years with me she never had a dowel perch and had 10 or more perches of various widths,lengths and sizes and still it happened. I wrapped many of her perches in vet wrap and I got medicated ointment from the vet to put on the sores twice a day.
It took about a month but thankfully they healed and it never happened again.
Just goes to show that we can do everything possible to make a varied cage and still nothing can totally take the place of them flying free all day grabbing onto what nature intended.
I'd try to change your plastic bowls to stainless steel that they have to perch on the edge or try putting a non dowel perch in front of it. Plastic can harbor bacteria and its not comfortable to perch on and it's almost like a dowel since it's just plastic.
I hope your little one will heal quickly.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
That definitely seems like the start of bumble foot. I'd try to get him some platforms and rope perches as soon as you can. When Nala got bumble foot which I still cant believe because her entire 11 years with me she never had a dowel perch and had 10 or more perches of various widths,lengths and sizes and still it happened. I wrapped many of her perches in vet wrap and I got medicated ointment from the vet to put on the sores twice a day.
It took about a month but thankfully they healed and it never happened again.
Just goes to show that we can do everything possible to make a varied cage and still nothing can totally take the place of them flying free all day grabbing onto what nature intended.
I hope your little one will heal quickly.
I was putting off doing another bird supply order (due to some changes that are supposed to happen with their set up), but I will get him some perches ASAP (as mentioned I’ll be at the vet tomorrow so I’ll organise it today or Wednesday).
I just realised I may actually be able to get some vet wrap today.
Again I am grateful it’s him as he’s the easiest to work with and it’ll be far less stressful then if it was one of the others.
I also hope he gets better quickly, he really is my special little man and means a whole lot to me :xflove:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great that you should be able to get some vet wrap! Just be careful he's not picking at and ingesting it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can disinfect the bottoms of his feet right now and put just a touch of Vitamin E oil on. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection.

Keeping the perches clean will be key to getting his feet well.

Can you get branches from trees for perches?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
You can disinfect the bottoms of his feet right now and put just a touch of Vitamin E oil on. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection.

Keeping the perches clean will be key to getting his feet well.

Can you get branches from trees for perches?
Will try that.

I get almost all my perches from my trees, but I have no rope or platform perches.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It definitely looks like pressure sores. It can sneak up on you really fast. You might need to find out if there is an underlying issue with the way he stands that may be putting undue pressure on his feet in those areas. While perches of varying diameter are key to good foot health, in this case the key is getting him off of hard or rough surfaces. So wrapping the perches in fleece, using rope perches, or wrapping a paper towel around a wood perch and then wrapping the vet wrap over the towel is what you need to sooth his feet and let him heal.

I recently had a bird with a deformed foot and within 2 months he started developing sores so we had to switch him over to soft perches. Fleece and rope perches are what the new owner used (he was a baby that I hatched and raised and has since gone to his new home with an experienced bird keeper and excellent vet care).

I hope your little guy feels better soon.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Firstly, thank you everyone for your help :)
LJ is currently in a travel cage set up to accomodate his sore feet, a tad sad he isn’t with his girlfriend.
Today has been completely and utterly crazy, I will try to give a proper update later today.