• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather growth rate

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
How fast do feathers usually grow back in? There are probably a few conditionals here such as if the feather falls out on its own (or pushed out as I have heard is possible sometimes with older large feathers) versus being plucked out. Also there may be a difference between species and also a difference between individual feathers. In general I'm guessing we can probably average growth times across most species so unless you think this is majorly false, lets ignore this variable. Lets look at the following varieties:

Head
Breast
Primary
Secondary
Tail
Leg

These are not the technical terms for all the groupings, but you get the idea. I'm just looking for large estimates (Days, weeks, months, etc) before I start seeing new pin feathers. I want to make sure to pay close attention when they do start coming in. Thanks

IMG_20180224_211127.jpg

This is her Halloween costume...
IMG_20180224_230320.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love her Halloween costume! LOL...feathers take weeks to months to regrow, depending upon the area of the body.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What I've noticed with my birds - may not be the same for all.
Molted feathers are replaced with pins almost immediately (they are actually pushed out by the growing pinfeather).
Plucked feathers take a week or two before you see pinfeathers.
Cut or damaged feathers where the feather shaft is intact will just be replaced at the next molt, like normal feathers, anywhere from a few weeks to a year depending on when the bird last molted.

Here's an old picture of my budgie Pippin, two weeks after the vet plucked out the feathers over a growth on his cheek (it turned out to be a harmless granuloma). There are good sized pinfeathers growing in already.
IMG_5304.JPG

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I understand the different rates of growth in different areas of the body. Buddy the conure seems to have the slowest feather regrowth (in actual time) I've ever seen!

Does anyone else notice that one species has faster regrowth than another species? Slower regrowth?

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Harley seems to grow in feathers fairly quickly...if only he'd leave them alone long enough to grow completely.