• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite "obscure" parrot?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A lady at work asked what kind of bird I had, I said a Black Cockatoo. She then replied with "OH! Those are the really bright and colourful ones aren't they?!" I assume she meant macaws....I was confused...being called BLACK Cockatoos and all.
That surprises me! Your in Australia not the hicks! Parrots are everywhere. People should know what a black one is!

PicklesParrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
There are 2 very rare species I adore! Obviously I dont have them as pets but I love researching rare birds and these 2 are just the coolest!
The first on is a Marvellous Spatuletail Hummingbird. They're endangered. They are just so beautiful! Here's a picture of one. They have the most beautiful tail feathers!
marvspat.jpg

The second one is my favorite! It is literally the cutest thing in the entire world! And they are huge! It's called a Kakapo Parrot. From New Zealand. It's flightless and nocturnal. Some might find it a bit creepy looking but I would pay a pretty penny to snuggle up with one of these at night!
kakapo-1-784017.jpg

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
WOW! Look at those FEET!

My caique.
I have to agree. The person who introduced me to Caiques, pronounced it "kike" and couldn't even spell the name (and he owned a bird shop). By the time I brought mine home, I knew more about Caiques then my breeder did.

Vishi

Meeting neighbors
I third the kakapo. I'm arranging a close up later this year on my honeymoon (fingers crossed!!).

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Hope it doesn't try to hump your head like the poor camera guy on that David Attenborough show! Please take and post pics of any/all birds you see!

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
keas, greater Western vassas, northern Argentinian wild calico macaw hybrids(met people locally originally from that locale who say they exist when they meet mine), lutino Congo African greys, bare eyed cockatoos(everyone keeps thinking the smaller but similar looking goffin's cockatoos are better sellers for some reason, or at least that's the best I can figure out having not seen one in a pet store for years – yet they're my favorite cockatoo species :)

pearlywaldo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
christian
Ima say Queen of Bavaria conure

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I'm completely in awe of Greater Vassas. I'd love one. They are just beautiful .

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Ima say Queen of Bavaria conure
ut

Besides being obscure and beautiful they are wonderful birds. They are quite friendly more so than many parrots. They are gentle and playful. They do have a LOUD call though. Because they are bigger than a sun that call is bigger as well. LOL

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I'm completely in awe of Greater Vassas. I'd love one. They are just beautiful .

I have just the one, Petoskey. She is quite a lovely bird. This is one of the birds that never bites. She is comical. They are great flyers. Pet flies in the apartment going from room to room all in one flight. I have seen some play on their backs but this is not something Pet does. Don't worry, she plays in other ways and loves hanging out with and on me. Of course she must help me with my meals.