• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite "obscure" parrot?

PablosMom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
My favorite is my canary winged parakeet (but I might be a little biased, lol). His calm friendly personality when I handled him for the first time is what drew me to him. Never heard of them before then. Nobody ever knows what he is and when I tell them they either pretend to know what I'm talking about and drop the subject quickly or give me the confused look that is my cue to explain that he is neither a parakeet nor a canary. :hehe:

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
I had a lady recently tell me that my birds "don't look like parrots". Evidently if it isn't typically seen in a pirate movie, it's not a parrot.

kackels

Real Name
Kakie Currey
I am always explaining jellybean.. White fronted amazon, then I show a picture. Then they say but she doesn't have a white front(meaning belly). "No, on her head".
. "Oh, but there is very little white, so why is she called that? She has more blue then white, shouldn't she be a blue fronted?"
"No, they already have that species"
Oh???
Hee hee

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
I think it's pretty bad when you have to explain what a sun conure is.... And I do...lol

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I'm tipping my Hooded Parrots are probably the most obscure parrot species at AA. I don't think many, if any, members here knew they existed before I introduced mine. :)

Attachments

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I knew they existed, but only because I am fascinated by Aussie parrots and want a pair of each varied and beautiful type! I love Carnaby's cockatoos, Yellow Tailed Black toos (leucistic ones especially), Harveys, and Gang-Gangs. Fig parrots and hanging parrots are cool, too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My favorite obscure parrot is Harvey:heart::D. I love his big beak and the way his crest looks. Oh wait were we supposed to give a species? Then yellow tailed black cockatoo. (I had never heard of them until Harvey showed up here.)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Not a parrot, he is a softbill,but Gryphon the blue naped mousebird is my obscure bird.
He is also a sweetie.:heart:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Carol, you and griffon have a great relationship. •We need to hear more stories and see more pictures.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I have a rare African Conazon. But that's mostly because danielle let Puck get raised by her flock.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm tipping my Hooded Parrots are probably the most obscure parrot species at AA. I don't think many, if any, members here knew they existed before I introduced mine. :)
Yes, I have to say quite honestly I had these (grass?) parrots in mind while I was reading this thread. They are very beautiful, and their rarity makes them quite attractive to me. Gerard, seriously I was going to say this before I read what you wrote, haha.

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Pois are less known than i had thought. I knew Meyers were less common, so usually I say "he is a close cousin of the Senegal" thinking the Senegal is more well known. Usually I get this face::huh:

Someone mentioned them already but I am in love with Great billed parrots! Also, vasas are so interesting.

Mirantha

Walking the driveway
Okay, this isn't an "obscure" species per se,
But I have gotten a lot of funny looks from people when I tell them I am getting a Blue Headed Pionus in a few weeks.
and it doesn't help that my 11 yr old daughter snickers every time I say it :rolleyes:

kimjk939

Moving in
My non-birdie friends (which are most of them) think I am confused when I tell them I have a Finsch's Conure!!! I always get "That's not a Finch!!!!" :rolleyes: So glad they set me straight!!!! :rofl:

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
I have a very rare white cockatiel who is growing out only tan feathers at the moment. What???? That's rare...isn't it??? :D

No one around here that I know knows anything at all about parrots. I have no idea if anyone has any. So here, they are all rare and unusual. And they have no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about my budgies. What's that?

No seriously, I think the Hawkheaded parrot is pretty unusual and I am reading all about them. Anyone here have one? Love to hear about them.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay, this isn't an "obscure" species per se,
But I have gotten a lot of funny looks from people when I tell them I am getting a Blue Headed Pionus in a few weeks.
and it doesn't help that my 11 yr old daughter snickers every time I say it :rolleyes:
Oh, forget them. We all know its one of the most beautiful sapphire colored birds out there with a reputation for a great disposition! You made a great decision, no matter who knows! (Can you tell I have become a big fan?)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a very rare white cockatiel who is growing out only tan feathers at the moment. What???? That's rare...isn't it??? :D

No one around here that I know knows anything at all about parrots. I have no idea if anyone has any. So here, they are all rare and unusual. And they have no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about my budgies. What's that?

No seriously, I think the Hawkheaded parrot is pretty unusual and I am reading all about them. Anyone here have one? Love to hear about them.
I'm getting one in a few weeks! A 13 year old girlie :heart: Also, go to the Hawkhead section, loads there!

Haha, sorry, I just get SO excited whenever the word "Hawkhead" is mentioned.

Not sure if this one is "obscure," per se, but I've wanted one of these for a while as well and no one seems to know what I'm saying when I tell them about painted conures:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My caique. Ive had people ask me:

"how do you spell that?"
"how do you say that?"
"what kind of pigeon is that?"
"that's a nice bird, but do you have any parrots?"