• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite "obscure" parrot?

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
If you have a parrot that you have to keep explaining to people ("Oh, he's an African violet-naped conure. Yes, yes I said African. One of a kind, really."), I want to hear about what attracted you to that species and what it's like to live with them. Or just talk about your favorite little-known parrot if you don't own one!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I mention to others that I have an African Grey almost all of them think of a Congo. Well no guys it is a Timneh Grey.

Huh???

RedFeather

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Leah
Great billed parrot! Gorgeous with those scalloped feathers and reminds me strongly of my Alexandrine, but sadly only 2 pairs I know of in Canada. I would love one...

My WC pionus always gets some puzzled looks, but then most people in my experience can only identify finches, cockatiels, budgies and B&G macaws. :huh:

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
My Red Bellied parrot, also my sisters Solomon Island Ekkie- people have actually asked us if he was fake before. Yep we walk in the the pet store with a fake bird hehe =)

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A lady at work asked what kind of bird I had, I said a Black Cockatoo. She then replied with "OH! Those are the really bright and colourful ones aren't they?!" I assume she meant macaws....I was confused...being called BLACK Cockatoos and all.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Gang Gang. Don't see too many of those around. But you can find info about them on cockatoo board or heading.

Want obscure parrots....go to "other" :confused: parrots on most boards as that is where we call home :hehe:

It's kind of fun explaining about Greater Vasa's and how Petoskey got his name. Tidbit....they LOVE to eat and are the least fussy parrot (next to an ekkie) in regards to eating. I can bribe him to do many things now. :D We have to go to behavior or something like that to get out of the "other" category. Their feathers feel like a greys feathers.

I am just tickled that your brought this up. There is someone else here who would love a Vasa and I told her Pet could be hers when I am gone (or pretty darn close to it).

Last edited:

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
Great billed parrot! Gorgeous with those scalloped feathers and reminds me strongly of my Alexandrine, but sadly only 2 pairs I know of in Canada. I would love one...

My WC pionus always gets some puzzled looks, but then most people in my experience can only identify finches, cockatiels, budgies and B&G macaws. :huh:
Those are so cool! I've heard great billed parrots have really winning personalities, too, but I wouldn't know from experience lol. And your pi would never get a puzzled look from me, just adoration. Don't tell the other birds but I think pionus are the prettiest parrots, their feathers are so iridescent and jewel toned and... *swoon*. Plus who can resist those big sweet eyes!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You really have to be a bird person to understand what we are talking about. Almost no one knows that Parakeets are Parrots considered hookbills.
Try talking about a hemipenis, or why they have a yellow head with no feathers at certain times of the year.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Quite a few people I've met out and about whilst I have M-Star and/or Millow with me have been totally surprised when I tell them they are lorikeets. They assume all lorikeets are rainbows and don't realise they come in many forms let alone that they are a parrot. :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Quite a few people I've met out and about whilst I have M-Star and/or Millow with me have been totally surprised when I tell them they are lorikeets. They assume all lorikeets are rainbows and don't realise they come in many forms let alone that they are a parrot. :)

Even parrot people are not as aware of lories. Love reading about them.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Even parrot people are not as aware of lories. Love reading about them.
I have to admit I didn't either till I looked into getting one and then educated myself as we were about to become a lory owner. They're indeed fascinating as are all of the other parrot species. :cool:

The lories are little celebirdies at our local Petbarn, the staff love seeing them come in and the customers all love seeing them interact and are always asking questions about them. :)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
People have no idea what a "budgie" is and "budgerigar" confuses them even more.
Sorry I just cannot call them parakeets.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I have a St. Thomas Conure AKA Brown Throated Conure. They are very hard to find. She just so happens to be our very first bird ever :heart: We didn't know she was rare or unheard of though at the time.