• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

favorite bird backpack ?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi all,
Looking for recommendations on birds backpacks. Ideally with no plastic/vinyl screens, just mesh.

On amazon I am only finding backpacks that have some kind of plastic screen, which I worry about heating up and giving off gases or just overheating my bird, as I live in Miami where it is subtropical year round.

I have a lovebird. I would love something with food bowls or water bottles. Even better if it has rope perches but that’s customizable with most I think.

Thanks!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really recommend the Celltei backpacks! I have both the Pak-O-Bird and Birdie GoGo and the quality is really amazing! They use stainless steel mesh, food bowls and you can choose rope perch or wood perch.

They're a little pricey but I have found the quality to be worth the price

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you seen the new Celltei Birdie Pouch? You can wear it on your shoulder so your bird can see in front of you. I have the Pak-O-Bird and love it, but Opie spends all his time trying to peek at the side around me :) I agree that Celltei are very durable and they were fantastic to work with.

Birdie Pouch - Small (new)

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you seen the new Celltei Birdie Pouch? You can wear it on your shoulder so your bird can see in front of you. I have the Pak-O-Bird and love it, but Opie spends all his time trying to peek at the side around me :) I agree that Celltei are very durable and they were fantastic to work with.

Birdie Pouch - Small (new)
Ooo that looks really fun for walks!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
As others have mentioned, I recommend Celltei. I have a Pack-O-Bird backpack and have been pleased with it. I took my bird last year on vacation with it and it was a great travel cage and Georgie got to be on hikes which made her really happy. I do like the option to put the flaps down for privacy and this especially worked for my bird due to her freaking out if there were a ton of people. The only downside to is that it is fairly easy to chew on and Georgie has chewed on it out of boredom but it has withstood it. Another downside is that you can't put toys in there when the backpack is being moved. I had tried to have a toy in there with my bird but unfortunately it didn't work out due to it swinging all over the place. :( Otherwise I would recommend it. I will say that I did pay extra for the chewing preventions to help it withstand Georgie's beak which it has. Furthermore, I did get a size a larger than what was recommended just to make sure she was comfortable (I got a small instead of an x-small) and I have found she does have a nice amount of space. :) Overall, I do think that it is worth the investment and I have been pleased with it generally. My bird enjoys it and gets excited to go in the backpack.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Another downside is that you can't put toys in there when the backpack is being moved. I had tried to have a toy in there with my bird but unfortunately it didn't work out due to it swinging all over the place. :(
Thank you!! Just an idea but have you ever tried using Velcro strips/fasteners (like the kind used for cable management) to strap a toy to the sides of the back pack??

Also: are the zippers protected/concealed to prevent biting?

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Thank you!! Just an idea but have you ever tried using Velcro strips/fasteners (like the kind used for cable management) to strap a toy to the sides of the back pack??

Also: are the zippers protected/concealed to prevent biting?
No, I have not tried Velcro strips/fasteners. That's a good idea, thank you. :) What I ended doing for vacation was putting her toy at the bottom. Yes, the zippers are protected/concealed to prevent biting. Unfortunately for me, my bird decided to chew where it wasn't protected. I got the wide panels (it covers the front and back of the backpack inside) for protection from Georgie chewing on it and I have to say it did work. However, there is nothing protecting the backpack on the side so where the sides where the bowls are, Georgie has chewed on. Like I said she does it more out of boredom then anything else so usually its not a problem when she is out in the sun or on a hike. It was a major problem though when she got tired of being in the backpack during travel. So needless to say she did chew through the fabric (small amount) on the side of the bowls, however, she couldn't get through the mesh and the fabric on the other side. That being said, if you have a big bird I have no doubt that they would be able to chew through it so I wouldn't recommend it for larger birds who like to chew on things they are not supposed to. It honestly drove me nuts when Georgie chewed on it but it did withstand her damage. :banghead:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
From all the ones I’ve seen I prefer the pak o bird, I only have hands on experience with pak o bird not any of the other carriers with plastic windows etc. I always worry about the air flow and temp of the backpack carriers I see with the plastic- they even make me worry about the airflow/temps when I see mammals in them.