• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Excess rope/Toys being used up - Safety tip

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When buying toys I've had a few arrive to me with a lot of rope/string at the top that has nothing on it. I don't like giving that to my birds for safety reasons, so I would always tie as many knots in it to shorten it.. But there is a better way to fix it. Another time this tip is helpful is when your bird has pulled off some pieces from their toy, and now there's excess rope showing.

IMG_20201205_174828.jpg This is an example of a toy that is brand new but has excess string at the top. Another would be the yukka bird kabobs.

IMG_20201205_174902.jpg Push all the pieces up to the top as high as you can.

IMG_20201205_174936.jpg Tie a know right under the lowest toy piece, as close as possible.

IMG_20201205_175039.jpg Cut a cm from the knot et voilà!

Super easy,, but honestly I had never thought of it before and was doing weird knots at the top to try fix it, so though I would share for anyone else who didn't think of this.

All credit for this tip goes to @Danita (I saw it on her toy video)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Great idea! I usually give up, cut the rop & try to rethread everything onto a skewer. This way is a lot less work!