• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

EMERGENT! I NEED HELP!

ArrabellaBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Sacha
Hi there guys! I'm ArrabellaBirds and I'd like to talk about my lovebird Arrow, he got attacked by one of our other lovebirds, he's badly injured, and my parents won't let me go to the vet! They don't understand that I have a bonded relationship with him. I've tried reasoning, but they say it's too expensive and they can't do anything about it, I honestly think he needs medical attention! He has a large, serious abrasion wrapping around under his wing, cutting very deeply, and he has a broken foot. If anybody could please tell me what I can do to help him, please respond immediately. I have already put betadine on his wing, and he's also acting strange, all he wants is warmth and, of course, sleep. If there is nothing I can do about it, please, tell me.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Is he bleeding? How do you know his foot is broken versus sprained or pulled muscle? Try to put him in a small cage with a towel on the bottom and food and water on the bottom of the cage too. Cover the cage and try to keep him warm and as still as possible.

Can you give us an idea of where you are located (just area, nothing personal).

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
First of all, calm down.
If you can't reason with your parents, there's not much you can do other than home remedies or first aid.
If it comes down to being to expensive, take a look at carecredit- as far as I know, they can lend money for this kind of thing, without interest if paid within the due date.
Please send pictures so that we can help you better, and I hope your fid gets better :sadhug2:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Oh gosh, poor Arrow and poor you!

I agree with calming down and breathing. Lovebirds are tough little birds, and while your parents are... very, VERY wrong for not taking him to the vet, there are still ways you can help him.

If he lets you touch him, apply polysporin to the wound under his wing. Don't use peroxide, that stuff's too strong. Other than that, he needs rest and warmth right now. @rocky'smom gave you some good links, he needs a hospital cage. If you can cover it half-way to give him the option to hide, even better. Go relax in a nice, hot shower or bath and take him and his hospital cage with you. It'll help you clear your head and the steam will help to keep him warm. Supply him with a little bit of water and seed while you're in there and let him rest.

It's natural that he wants sleep and wants to stay warm, he's probably in shock and it sounds like he may have lost a lot of blood. Let him rest and try not to wake him up whenever you check on him.

Does he have his own cage? If he doesn't, he needs to be separated from the bird/s that attacked him. If it happened outside of the cage, you need to figure out why it happened and how to stop it from happening again, or not let them out at the same time.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I’m sorry this is happening to you and your bird. :sadhug2: Could you possibly try offering to pay for the vet visit or part/most of it? If your parents see that you really care enough about your bird to spend your own money on something that they see as not-so-important, they may give in.

Hopefully this will all get sorted out and you’ll Bird will be okay. After this, though, I beg you to spend the time to make an emergency vet fund by yourself in case something like this happens again. Also, please separate any fighting birds in the future. Again, so sorry. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way. :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear, great advice here. Hope everything works out well for you and your little bird.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
oh my goodness. He does need a vet. I am guessing you are a minor. do you have an aunt or grandparent who can help? other folks who know more will be along, keep an eye on the thread. I am sorry you have to go through this

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that your bird got injured. Talk to your parents again. It is very important that your bird get treated. Is there another family member who could help you?
He probably needs antibiotics and also a pain killer. You could get some Vetericyn skin and wound care but that is NOT a replacement for veterinary care.
Perhaps you can do extra chores around the house as repayment for your parents taking him to the vet or if you get an allowance you could just skip that for a few weeks.
Hoping all will be well with your bird.

ArrabellaBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Sacha
Thank you all for your support and replies! I really do feel at home and comfortable here, @SandraK , for your information, I live in Australia, Pinjarra, I know there is a veterinarian, within my area, but I'm not allowed to go there because it is not necessary, according to my parents. I believe he isn't bleeding, but he has some dry blood around his sores, should it be recommended bathing him? @RawPasta here are a few photos of him,
Arrow.jpg Arrow1.jpg

@Garet , I have separated him from the lovebirds and he is in his own cage, living in my room, with his buddy that got attacked too (Don't worry, his buddy has no injuries), they get along well and I put a towel in there acting as a little tent under his perch, there is plenty of food and water for the both of them.

Thank you all again, you're all so kind and caring!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh my heart goes out to both you and your bird. I am sorry they wont let you go to the vet, the poor thing must be in some pain as we all are when our skin has been broken or ripped open.

With any luck one of the others with more medical knowledge will be along soon and give you some ways to help him at home.....even though it will never replace vet care, doing something for him will be better than nothing. I am more confident giving medical advice for our furry friends rather than our feathered ones, so I am not sure what would be the best advice in this situation.

Only other suggestion I have is taking the bird to the vet and using your own money, asking to borrow and repay or do something to earn the money for the vet trip. I know if my kids were willing to do anything needed to earn the cash for something so important to them, I would do as much as I could to help them achieve their goal as their loving parent.
I don't know if your parents would help a little more if they saw how much it means to you, but I am hoping this may be the case.

Good luck and keep us informed of how things are going for you all :)

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Oh dear, poor baby! A lot of the people here gave me good advice when I needed help very recently, trust them! Especially @Garet, @Shezbug, @iamwhoiam and @rocky'smom, they gave me such good advice all the way through my troubles! From your description, it seems your birds wounds are much worse than the wounds i dealt with, but I understand it's hard to have your parents take you to a vet with the expenses. Rockie (My lovebird) was very sleepy when she was wounded, so while he's probably resting to come away from the shock, it could also be a way to make the healing process faster. If you and your bird have a strong bond, keep him near you, it will relax him! Also, is he eating and drinking okay? He may not be too hungry or thirsty right after the attack but after that he should eat, at least a little bit. Could you tell us if he has, or when he does?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Agree, call the vet and see if he can guide you. Manuka honey is good stuff for wounds and can be used on human. I'm so sorry...sometimes parents are just regular people that don't make the best decisions. If you were closer, I'd scoop him up and take him in for you.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your bird got injured, and I hope he will be okay!
:sadhug2: