• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

egg help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Zara has made a sticky with instructions on all this stuff @ume. Have you checked it out?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
ok i have a lead and the bulb screws in so i can find a 25 watt one if thats better
If you can, then great, if not then just put it higher

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
so i can find a 25 watt one if thats better
25 watts is what was listed in the article Ali posted.

That article also says to line the incubator with pebbles and use wire mesh between the lamp and the eggs.
So.. no wood shavings needed I don´t think?

@Sodapop&Co. @fashionfobie @Catherine89

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For incubation, it is best to have a harder floor and then to move them out as soon as possible to a brooder after hatching. It is recommended to have the brooder set up about two to three days before the due hatch date.

Just remember the egg will need turning often if you don't have an automatic incubator.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have no experience incubating pigeon or chicken eggs. Though I advise investing in or renting? Is that an option? A proper incubator. More than temperature you need to know when to rotate and keep the perfect humidity.

I have hatched a goose egg before and then found a goose with goslings she accepted this found incubated chic.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if the egg did cool the chick may be severally harmed. Even if you do rewarm or try to hatch there could be serious developmental problems. Though very Nobel I am not sure the outcome will be what you hope. :(

winniezon

Jogging around the block
the egg we called Peggy( because our friend calls eggs, eggy Peggy) didn't show much signs of life the day after i was jumping with excitement so we waited a few more days put it went dark and the blood ring was more prominent then ever so we made a little nest for it outside and lay it there.

IMG_1472.jpg
it was very sad as it was so beautiful to see life start but i guess we didn't have the right equipment but we wanted to see a sign of life before we got all of the stuff. but i guess that was not the right thing to do. i still wanted to incubate eggs(even though you all say i am incapable) so we got a brinsea mini 2 advance which basically does everything for you so it is hard to make a mistake. and i am on the seventh day of incubating silkie chicken eggs which already have homes for when we have to leave. and we are living close to a man who knows all about incubating and chickens. they are on schedule and are moving about and i can see all the blood vessels
IMG_1552.jpg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
That is a great little incubator. I have the same model.

In fact, I hatched a chicken egg using it earlier this month. It was a random egg that one of our broody ducks had stolen from a chicken. I didn't find her nest right away, so I candled all the eggs I found under her and one of them was clearly very much alive. There was a little embryo and spiderweb veins radiating out from it in all directions. We kept that one chicken egg and three duck eggs that looked like they might have something going on. The duck eggs never developed, but the chicken egg kept going strong.

And one day, we looked in to our incubator and saw this:
20200630_100217.jpg

That was on June 30th. This is what she looks like today.

Resized_20200712_144410.jpeg

Such a fluffy little cutie. :)

Be sure to headover to Poultry Row for any advise or questions you might have.

Baby chicks are pretty easy, compared with some birds, but they are still so tiny and fragile. Gotta keep 'em safe and warm so they can grow up strong.

Good luck with your incubator and I hope your eggs hatch well!

Last edited:

winniezon

Jogging around the block
wow that a sweet chick i cant wait till mine hatch(hopefully)

winniezon

Jogging around the block
doing ok

(couldnt upload so had to create a youtube account)