• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Egg emergency?

paintdbird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angelina
I’m not very familiar with this platform so please forgive me if I do anything wrong!
I’ve never had a female bird before so this is new to me. Lulu is a 5 year old parrotlet, and I’ve had her for about 2 years now. She’s laid eggs in the past, about 3, but this is her first time getting ready to lay one in about a year.
They’re not fertile.
She took a big poo on me this morning, and just about an hour ago she pooped again but this time it looks as if you cracked an egg, and it looks like there’s a membrane in it as well?
She pooped again 30ish minutes after that one, and it looks completely normal, and she seems to be acting normal again and eating. I’m scheduling a check up for her regardless, but I was hoping someone could help identify this for me, so I can decide if this is an urgent care issue instead?
I attached a photo of her poop and also of her so you can see her beauty

edit: I also wanted to include that she is on a veggie diet and since noticing she was beginning to get ready to lay an egg, I’ve supplemented calcium for her.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like a soft shelled egg or an egg with no outer shell.

I have seen this many times in chooks but I am not sure if it is of concern for parrots so I will tag a few members for you who may be able to offer some advice. @Zara @BrianB @Matto

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like a calcium deficiency. I've seen it in cockatiels that have laid too many eggs, and I've seen it in older birds that are past their prime and the organ that lays down the shell just isn't working anymore. Getting her to the vet is a good idea just to see what's going on. They should be able to advise you on what to supplement the diet with, or if it's worth them giving her a calcium boost.

paintdbird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angelina
thank you! I’m supplementing calcium for her but maybe this has to do with d3.
I’m scheduling her an appointment first thing tomorrow, hopefully I can get her in soon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I second what Brian said above.

maybe this has to do with d3.
Vitamin D3 is needed so the calcium administered in the diet can actually be absorbed. So if it is lacking, it can lead to problems. Your vet should be able to shed light on exactly which vitamins/minerals are lacking and give you a guide for supplements and diet going forward.