• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus behavior issues

Can anyone offer info or advice on eclectus laying eggs

• Egg laying

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Odd behavior

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dixie Dare

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley
Hi, I peek thru here from time to time but this is my first posting. We have a female eclectus that was given to us about a year ago. She has always been a plucker but was just starting to fill back in. For the last couple of months she's been spending most of her time under our recliner. Yesterday she was behaving in a very odd way. She seemed frantic and she had nearly plucked her chest bare. I found two eggs under the chair. I know laying eggs uses a lot of nutrients and calories. I removed the eggs and made the chair less dark and secluded. What else can I do? How do I help her? Thanks. Sorry so long.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
In my opinion if you haven't thrown away the eggs, I would give them back to her as she may well lay more to replace them. I would make sure she hasn't got any dark places to nest in which will encourage her to lay more. Plucking to use the feathers to line a nest is fairly common. Do make sure her diet has adequate calcium. Lady Jane recently posted about calcium rich foods here:

A List of Calcium Rich Foods for Birds | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hoping someone with more experience will come along and offer additional advice. :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Adding that sunshine will aid production of Vit D which in turn will help better absorption of the calcium. Or you could give her a short term supplement of Calcium + Vit D3. Egg yolk is about the only food a parrot can eat which contains Vit D. But best not to feed egg more than once or twice a week.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Get some dummy eggs for her.