• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusky Conure Q's

CubanBarbie91

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Christina
Finally picked up my little Dusky, named Banzai!! "He's a very sweet, and adventurous conure for sure. This is my very first conure, so I have a couple questions about behavior. Also any bird toy recommendations will be greatly appreciated

1. Why does he bob his head up and down slowly? It's definitely not in an agressive way, rather almost like he's a bit nervous.

2. How long does it take for him to reach full maturity, as in lengthwise and weight?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your Dusky. How old is he? Bobbing head can be excitement but also that he wants to be fed.
I don't remember when Jaden reached his full length and weight, maybe about 8-12 mos. Howard Voren stated that green conures reach maturity at 2 years of age but that probably relates to sexual maturity.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 duskies. They are such curious little clowns. My two absolutely love to fly!
My duskies were the first 2 birds I'd ever owned. I loved them so much that I just kept on getting more birds!
20180216_134525.jpg
Enjoy your new baby! If you have any questions, please ask away!

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
Congrats on getting your Dusky. How old is he? Bobbing head can be excitement but also that he wants to be fed.
I don't remember when Jaden reached his full length and weight, maybe about 8-12 mos. Howard Voren stated that green conures reach maturity at 2 years of age but that probably relates to sexual maturity.
He's 8 weeks as of this past Wednesday :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he fully weaned? My guy was about 11-12 weeks old when he weaned. He really may be begging for food/formula. I would recommend monitoring how much he is eating/drinking and also weighing him daily.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree. He likely needs more formula feedings. How is he taking solid food?
I'd weigh him daily to make certain he's not loosing any weight.

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
Is he fully weaned? My guy was about 11-12 weeks old when he weaned. He really may be begging for food/formula. I would recommend monitoring how much he is eating/drinking and also weighing him daily.
He really seems fully weaned, he is readily eating his pellets, and drinking water on his own. But boy does he LOVE to eat haha; the breeder I got him said he refused formula for the past 4 days prior to me picking him up.I will definitely be monitoring his weight just to sure. There was less bobbing today, only when he seemed a bit scared or curious.

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
I agree. He likely needs more formula feedings. How is he taking solid food?
I'd weigh him daily to make certain he's not loosing any weight.
Definitely eating ALOT of the Zupreem natural pellets on his own, along with an occasional piece of nutri berry.

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
I have 2 duskies. They are such curious little clowns. My two absolutely love to fly!
My duskies were the first 2 birds I'd ever owned. I loved them so much that I just kept on getting more birds!
View attachment 309074
Enjoy your new baby! If you have any questions, please ask away!
Those two are gorgeous!!!
Are there any particular toys that they prefer, or does it depend on the individual bird?

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
Those two are gorgeous!!!
Are there any particular toys that they prefer, or does it depend on the individual bird?
Is it normal for them to spend a good portion of the day eating, or is it because he's still growing ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds do have to eat a lot to maintain their metabolism and, since he is a baby and still growing then he is probably eating even more than a mature Dusky Conure would eat. In fact if someone ever tells you, "You eat like a bird." that really isn't a compliment, IMO. :D Is he eating a lot or tossing out some "stuff"? Jaden eats a lot, too, but then he tosses a lot.
Jaden likes bells, stainless steel toys and balsa toys but I have started him on thin pine toys because the balsa has become too easy for him.
One of his favorites balsa toys:
Briton

CubanBarbie91

Real Name
Christina
Birds do have to eat a lot to maintain their metabolism and, since he is a baby and still growing then he is probably eating even more than a mature Dusky Conure would eat. In fact if someone ever tells you, "You eat like a bird." that really isn't a compliment, IMO. :D Is he eating a lot or tossing out some "stuff"? Jaden eats a lot, too, but then he tosses a lot.
Jaden likes bells, stainless steel toys and balsa toys but I have started him on thin pine toys because the balsa has become too easy for him.
One of his favorites balsa toys:
Briton
No kidding haha, I'm used to seeing lovebirds eat a fraction of that Bonzai eats it a lot , tosses a little bit, then eats it off the cage floor later lol. Awesome selection on that website, thank you!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They do use our outdoor aviary. I rotate my birds through so that they all get a turn. But they are out there in assigned 'get along' groups!