• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doves and Tiels?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
A friend of mine is rehoming his ringneck dove to me next month, but I just heard that it can be dangerous to keep other birds with birds that produce dust, such as my cockatiel. Would it be a bad idea to keep the dove in the same room as my tiel? If I can't keep them in the same room he will need to find another home where he won't be in danger of pulminary hypertension. Would this be a potential problem?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d be thinking doves are as dusty as pigeons which are possibly the same or worse than tiels.

If you are housing them indoors maybe best to ensure you have an air purifier for your lung health.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I keep a pigeon and a conure and a canary in separate cages in one room but run an Oransi air purifier 24/7 (full blast overnight and on low during the day). I also have to sweep under the pigeon’s care twice a day. The white dust they give off (same as doves) is a nuisance. That being said, the pigeon is an amazing companion. Palomacy is a great resource for all things dove and pigeon. Best of luck.