• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove Cage Setup

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana
I’m adopting a dove soon, and I have a flight cage for it. I’d like to see pictures of your cage setups. No aviaries, just cages. :) Thanks in advance!
(Ooh, if you’d like to leave Amazon links to your cage supplies that’d be great!)

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good for you giving a dove a home! They're amazing birdos. I have a couple myself and I love them to the moon and back.

Welcome to the forum! And also, we love seeing pictures of birds so if you've already picked out a dove and happen to have pics of the darling... ;) :D

shyanashay

Moving in
Real Name
Ana

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Very nice cage however... I think it's a very common misconception that doves don't appreciate perches. Or am I the only one who think they do?! I usually see cages with almost no perches in them and it usually bothers me. My doves have perches like any other bird cage - just gotta make sure there's enough room for them to hop/fly to and fro since they can't climb. It's true they're ground foraging birds, but not ground dwelling birds unless I'm mistaken... I know my doves much appreciate floor space to play on but they spend most of their time up on perches. Like they'd be up in trees. Anyway. Your choice I guess but I would at least give the opportunity for perching :)

I have the opportunity to buy that very same cage actually @88888888888888 . You've seen it in person - do you think it would be adequate for a dove pair (bearing in mind that they'd be using all the air space with perches too).

ETA: Oh whoops. I just remembered: wasn't your dove blind? If so never mind my whole rant about perches lol.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What absolutely gorgeous birds! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Try placing a log in the cage. It might be a great resting and adventure spot!

A few more ideas.

How to Choose a Cage for Pigeons or Doves |

@88888888888888 I like your toy ideas! Seem like fun for doves :)
Good read! My dove pair have wide logs in both their aviary and inside cages and those are definitely a hit.

And I agree about the toys - those all look like great ideas. I'll be trying to find something like those for my guys. :)

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
Very nice cage however... I think it's a very common misconception that doves don't appreciate perches. Or am I the only one who think they do?! I usually see cages with almost no perches in them and it usually bothers me. My doves have perches like any other bird cage - just gotta make sure there's enough room for them to hop/fly to and fro since they can't climb. It's true they're ground foraging birds, but not ground dwelling birds unless I'm mistaken... I know my doves much appreciate floor space to play on but they spend most of their time up on perches. Like they'd be up in trees. Anyway. Your choice I guess but I would at least give the opportunity for perching :)

I have the opportunity to buy that very same cage actually @88888888888888 . You've seen it in person - do you think it would be adequate for a dove pair (bearing in mind that they'd be using all the air space with perches too).

ETA: Oh whoops. I just remembered: wasn't your dove blind? If so never mind my whole rant about perches lol.
oh im sure doves/pigeons love plenty of perches but he had just the one because thats where he would sleep at night. he would fall off the perch so i put it down lower so he could hop back on it if he wanted to. he only used the cage at night/when he ate. his cage was more so if i slept in he would have a bit more space than he had in his other cage before i could let him out. i think it would maybe be good for two doves if they had plenty of time outside the cage as well.

i never got a picture of him in his new cage but he did have a dog crate for a while so thought i could show you this so you could compare his size to the stuff in the other pictures. also he wasnt blind lol
20190712_152019.jpg

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
oh im sure doves/pigeons love plenty of perches but he had just the one because thats where he would sleep at night. he would fall off the perch so i put it down lower so he could hop back on it if he wanted to. he only used the cage at night/when he ate. his cage was more so if i slept in he would have a bit more space than he had in his other cage before i could let him out. i think it would maybe be good for two doves if they had plenty of time outside the cage as well.

i never got a picture of him in his new cage but he did have a dog crate for a while so thought i could show you this so you could compare his size to the stuff in the other pictures. also he wasnt blind lol
View attachment 323474
Lol ok I just remembered that someone had a blind dove but I wasn't sure if it was your Bird. That dog crate looks good too! And that's great about the cage. The two will have tons of outside time - I'd just like them to have more room to play when I have to leave the house or something.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
Lol ok I just remembered that someone had a blind dove but I wasn't sure if it was your Bird. That dog crate looks good too! And that's great about the cage. The two will have tons of outside time - I'd just like them to have more room to play when I have to leave the house or something.
oh yeah the cage would definitely work then if you let them out. i bought the new cage because the dog crate was a pain in the butt to clean because i had to climb inside it to clean it