• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
GABA is medication called gabapenton that is used for assorted conditions in humans and animals. Frequently used for nerve type pain.
And that's the thing. While there is nothing visible on his skin that can cause irritation there can still be irritation without any visible cause. If the GABA doesn't work to any degree then we can safely assume this is purely behavioural.
I do find the vet's approach a little strange this time, but I do trust him.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've held off with the gabapentin. There's no point medicating a bird with something it doesn't actually need.
So we went a more therapeutic route today. All 3 birds have been out of their cages together all afternoon and it couldn't have gone much better. No sign of preening. In fact Roger seems a little wary of the little ones. Angel was wanting to investigate him but he kept backing away, not scared he just seemed unsure. He just had so much fun watching the budgies interact. Right now we're exchanging contact calls. He's back to tumbling and 'courting' his favourite perch.
The budgies have gone home now and Roger still has plenty of energy left. He's burning it off flying laps of the room.
I'm not counting my chicks just yet though. I have seen a few feather fragments floating about, but I may have just missed them with the vacuum.
It's been a different day for sure.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've held off with the gabapentin. There's no point medicating a bird with something it doesn't actually need.
So we went a more therapeutic route today. All 3 birds have been out of their cages together all afternoon and it couldn't have gone much better. No sign of preening. In fact Roger seems a little wary of the little ones. Angel was wanting to investigate him but he kept backing away, not scared he just seemed unsure. He just had so much fun watching the budgies interact. Right now we're exchanging contact calls. He's back to tumbling and 'courting' his favourite perch.
The budgies have gone home now and Roger still has plenty of energy left. He's burning it off flying laps of the room.
I'm not counting my chicks just yet though. I have seen a few feather fragments floating about, but I may have just missed them with the vacuum.
It's been a different day for sure.
I'm actually glad that you decided to wait. I thought the fids took it for the same reason some humans took it, not for seizures (usually) but to treat pain. Why treat pain if the barbaring is actually an emotional situation.

I'm just sticking my beak in where it didn't belong. I'm still learning & am so far behind on medically "vetting" a fid (I feel) that it was part of my learning, was headed towards if it was for an issue I'm not currently aware of. Why I asked... By the time I get all this bird husbandry in & feel I've learned all I can in my life, 3 things will possibly happen; I'll forget it all, will be to old to care or my life will be over. I started doing this way to old! But the brain has to keep learning or it won't work properly. I'm up for giving it a run for it's $. ;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I do think it can be a habitual behavior that once it starts it's hard for them to stop. An event triggers the first plucking and from then on it's a nervous disorder they can't seem to quit. My Ruby ( crimson bellied female) plucked her back several years ago after one night of stress. I was sitting up on the computer and could hear her scuffling around on the grate of her cage in the room next to where I was. So I went in, turned the light on and looked around and in her cage to see why she was disturbed. I discovered one large Palmetto bug scurrying around in the tray beneath her grate. She was terrorized and traumatized by that bug. Mind you... I change papers every evening so there is nothing for a bug to be seeking. To this day she still plucks under her wings, sometimes her legs. If she could she would sleep on me.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't want to second guess him but I believe the vet's intention was to treat as a skin irritation even though there were no physical signs, to eventually rule that out altogether. If Roger's skin had been irritated in any way the GABA would have killed rhe irritation (works on nerves I think) and stopped the barbering.
The GABA definitely wasn't to correct anything behavioral.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, it treats nerve pain in people you are correct. Based on LadyJ's comment it sounds the same for a Parrot/Avian.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'll keep this short.
It's obvious Roger can't be happy here with me. The conditions aren't suitable for his species, we think he'll be better in a flock of his fellows. So tomorrow (Monday) I'll have to say goodbye as he goes to the vet. He'll be given a thorough physical before going to his forever forever home Wednesday.
I'm so sad, but I realise my keeping him so long has caused him a lot of stress. I hope that by doing this I can finally make him happy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you know where he´ll be going?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That's a tough one! It's hard for me to believe... you're such an attentive parront. But commendable that you want to do the selfless right thing for the bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He's moving to South Wales. That's all I want to know.
To a persons home? Or an aviary? Or a zoo? It would be nice for you to know a little so then when you close your eyes you can picture him flying around an aviary or in someones home with a group of rosellas etc.
It will be sad to see him go I´m sure. We´re all here for you :hug9:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
To a persons home? Or an aviary? Or a zoo? It would be nice for you to know a little so then when you close your eyes you can picture him flying around an aviary or in someones home with a group of rosellas etc.
It will be sad to see him go I´m sure. We´re all here for you :hug9:
Sorry, I choked. He'll be living with a private flock of Rosellas, kakariki and tiels, spending much of the year outside in an aviary. Its an ideal opportunity to get him in there. If I'd held out til next weekend the space may gave gone to another bird.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I for one, will miss Roger's updates. You've put your heart into him. As any bird caretaker should , you are looking out for his best interest for a happy fulfilled life. Sad, but very commendable. Hugs for you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry it didn’t work out, and I’m sure it will be very hard to say goodbye.:hug8: You definitely tried your best, and I will miss hearing about Rodger, but how wonderful for him to be with a flock! :heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Linden, :sadhug:I'm so sorry! It sounds like this will be a wonderful life for Roger & a selfless act on your part. I've never had to give a bird up but did give a kitty up to my MIL because another kitty harassed her terribly. It's the hardest thing to decide & then, to do. If you want to talk, feel free to PM me, anytime.