• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don’t know a safe space to put bird

Dessie06

Moving in
Real Name
Destini
So I’m getting a bird soon and I just learned that fumes can be dangerous to them. I did figure that cleaning products could be harmful but I never thought that cooking fumes can be as well. I feel a bit more worried about taking care of the bird now that I know this information because I have no idea where to put it. I was thinking the living room but it’s close to the kitchen. Now I’m thinking my room but it’s close to the laundry room unfortunately. We don’t wash clothes everyday more so every weekend. I could just be more cautious making sure I keep both doors closed and I do have an air purifier in my room but I don’t know if it will help much.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Welcome to owning a parrot. You will need to go through your house and remove or replace anything that may have teflon, ptfe, pfoas, artificial scents, smells, etc. there are Lots of posts on hear and I think there is even a safety forum. Feel free to ask lots of questions. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you get it figured out, you will be fine. You will likely find yourself feeling and breathing better as well. I would start in your kitchen and then go room by room. It's a lot like preparing for an infant. You baby proof or in this case parrot proof. We are here to help out. Most nonstick pans are out but cast iron and stone ware is generally safe. There are some pots and pans that advertise PFOA and PTFE free and most manufacturers will tell you if you email, text or ask them on social media. A parrot is a big life change but if you are ready can be well worth the trouble to begin with. Do you know what type of bird you are getting yet? The living room is a great place because parrots love attention and generally being in the middle of all the action. I personally use vinegar and water to do most of my cleaning. Candles and scented items are mostly a no no. It is also a good idea to consider a good air purifier, especially if you are getting an "old world" bird since they tend to produce a lot of dust. Again Welcome there are lots of great people and great resources here.

Dessie06

Moving in
Real Name
Destini
Welcome to owning a parrot. You will need to go through your house and remove or replace anything that may have teflon, ptfe, pfoas, artificial scents, smells, etc. there are Lots of posts on hear and I think there is even a safety forum. Feel free to ask lots of questions. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you get it figured out, you will be fine. You will likely find yourself feeling and breathing better as well. I would start in your kitchen and then go room by room. It's a lot like preparing for an infant. You baby proof or in this case parrot proof. We are here to help out. Most nonstick pans are out but cast iron and stone ware is generally safe. There are some pots and pans that advertise PFOA and PTFE free and most manufacturers will tell you if you email, text or ask them on social media. A parrot is a big life change but if you are ready can be well worth the trouble to begin with. Do you know what type of bird you are getting yet? The living room is a great place because parrots love attention and generally being in the middle of all the action. I personally use vinegar and water to do most of my cleaning. Candles and scented items are mostly a no no. It is also a good idea to consider a good air purifier, especially if you are getting an "old world" bird since they tend to produce a lot of dust. Again Welcome there are lots of great people and great resources here.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:
Congratulations on your new bird!
Shannon covered it!

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I am so happy for you. You are smart to give her some time. When she is all settled, we would love to see pictures of your new love.....