• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your cockatiel chew electrical cord?

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I am still weighing getting a cockatiel, but I have been reading what determined chewers they are. I would only allow free flight in my bird room, but it had loads of cords since I have hanging lights with UV bulbs and fluorescent/LED lights on top of cages. (See photos.) I think putting tubing around all of that would be impractical and not wholly functional.

How likely is it that a cockatiel will chew on electrical cords?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Some of my tiels will chew anything...including electrical cords, phone charger cords, computer cords, etc. Also baseboards, window trims, picture frames, window blinds, cabinets, etc. My tiels are only out of their cages when I am home and able to watch them.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks, Cecilia. I have been weighing the pros and cons for a while, but I really think a cockatiel is not the best fit right now, even though the bird holds a great appeal to me.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you can string the cords thru PVC pipe and hold them with Side ways C brackets

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am still weighing getting a cockatiel, but I have been reading what determined chewers they are. I would only allow free flight in my bird room, but it had loads of cords since I have hanging lights with UV bulbs and fluorescent/LED lights on top of cages. (See photos.) I think putting tubing around all of that would be impractical and not wholly functional.

How likely is it that a cockatiel will chew on electrical cords?

View attachment 230554 View attachment 230555

Thanks, Cecilia. I have been weighing the pros and cons for a while, but I really think a cockatiel is not the best fit right now, even though the bird holds a great appeal to me.

Any and every kind of bird you get will chew on cords if you make them available. It's like putting a bowl of candy in front of a child and telling them they can't have any. How long before before the child takes candy?

If this is your criteria then a bird is not what you're looking for.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I won't get a cockatiel, but I have had budgies and Bourkes in the room for years without incident.

Thank you for the constructive feedback, Cecilia and Laurie.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Cords are a huge chewing attraction for all of my birds, both cockatiels and budgies. I understand that you haven't had an incident, but that doesn't mean you won't in the future. I would cover those cords if your birds have access to them. It's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiels will chew on almost anything, at least once in a while. I thought all parrots did. I'm surprised your birds haven't discovered your cords yet.

Rht123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rob
My cocktails chew/eat anything and everything. They are so greedy too! :lol:
They would eat my soul if it was going to taste good haha

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month