• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you all cover your birds at night??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I tried covering Ceddy for a while but found it stresses her, always finding her on the cage floor in the morning (she NEVER goes on the floor), desperately trying to find somewhere to peak out :( I also tried only partially covering but then she'd hang on the bars on the uncovered side(s). Eventually I stopped altogether and she's been much happier since then.

birdergirl

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
My tiel Shriek had night frights just a couple of times, and never during a storm. (I think it's dreams, something you can't control.) He was always covered at night, and like the others who get in the routine, would let me know if I was late. My Jardine's came to me never having been covered, but it didn't take long to get her used to it. Our house is small, and the living room lights illuminate her cage very well. Since I'm trying hard to keep her on a strict day/night schedule, it seems to me nighttime should be nighttime.

The funny thing is that I'm using the same little blanket with her new (huge) cage. It only covers the top third of the cage at most. She's very comfy with this arrangement. But I may have to get a bigger blanket. A couple of weeks ago she got very active during some brightly moonlit nights.

Birdzee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maddie
I don't cover Newbie..
I did was he was very young though..
He has a furry hut that he used to sleep in and for some reason he won't use it anymore..:(:(:(
I kiss him good night and put him in it but he only stays a minute and he is back out again..
He lives in the living room and at night if I am watching t.v. I keep it very low and the lights low too..
Right now it is 9.45 pm and he is still sitting on top of his cage..Must be a night owl like his parront...:D

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I don't cover any of mine ... they either go to sleep and wake up with the sun or whenever I turn the lights on and off. However, they are not as polite as Danny ... the conures start calling if I have not been into the bird room by 7:00 :D The lorikeets follow about 30 minutes later :)
If I could get Danny over here (and back home afterwards - the real deal stopper) I'd ask him nicely to give your guys some lessons on being polite.... :hehe:

My primary reason for not covering is that I live in the tropics and it would get too hot and stiffling in his cage under a cover.

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Both of my conures get covered at night around 9 p.m. My green cheek starts getting cranky and nippy around 8:45ish. When I cover him, I tell him "night night". He expects kisses through the cage and settles down once we go throught the 'ritual'. After he gets tucked in, my peach front gets one last snuggle, gets covered and she goes right to sleep. Awwww . . . such sweet fabies.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Lucy gets covered and is very unhappy if she is not.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes, Squeeky always gets covered. He gets lets night frights that way and this way I can stay up and watch tv and he can go to bed since we share a room.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
when i had birds i always covered them at night in case of drafts

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
I dont cover my birds, they all have a tent they can go into and get the darkness if they want.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I cover mine, but only because of the layout of our house and the cold temps that we get here in MN. Archie gets extremely cranky if I am late, too. He likes to be on his schedule, and he likes to be able to nestle down and ignore us in peace, hehe

Diana88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana
:omg: If I'm not cover the cage it's the end of the world :rofl: She screams until the cage is covered and it's dark. Then she sleeps very well and dreams in her beautiful land :rofl: Just joking. :D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Toc and Cookie used to get covered when the lived together in the living room, but now neither of them are covered. They each have "their" own rooms (cough, my room and my sisters) and the lights just go off. Usually there's some kinda night light, too.

Cookie's awesome in the morning. She'll usually sleep in just as late as me, and if she does wake up before me she doesn't make a sound until she hears me say good morning - then she goes crazy.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have a very large house (3 stories) and none of the birds are covered...lights go out and they are fine with their night lights....windows have no curtains on them either...so they are up with the sun all year round ...when it is starting to get dark outside and the lights are on...they are wanting to go to bed..so feeding them supper is getting earlier this time of the year...:hug8:

birdman78

Real Name
John
We cover TJ's cage at night. Mostly cause we have alot of traffic that comes and goes by the house at night and we do keep the house cool in the winter. Covering the cage we have had only 2 times in the last year that he has had night frights.

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Mine share my office and I work nights so I do cover about 10:00 p.m. If I'm late my tiel will certainly remind me - LOUDLY. They stay pretty quiet in the mornings until whenever except for a soft, occasional, tentative "Hi - I love you" from Schubert under the covers. LOL he's soooo cute!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I cover my guys, it lets them know it's bed time. The tiels also have a night light.

With the conures, they sleep in a small cage in my room (they go to bed earlier than the others and throw tantrums if they can hear the fun) and i cover them. That doesn't stop Savvy screaming in the AM if i don't wake up early enough. She could use some lessons from Danny too. :p

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I really appreciate everyone replying to this thread. I am covering Merlin at night, although with the time change my office is dark at 6pm. Last night he fell sleep on his stand.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
All of ours get covered at night and look as snug as a bug in a rug! It gives them added warmth especially on cold Winter nights and also feel safe in their own little space. Do not have to watch out for anything or anyone outside of the cage, so can rest easier.
During the lighter mornings it also gives them longer sleep time, as they remain in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.