• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you all cover your birds at night??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I put my babies in a "nite time" cage & cover them. They seem to look forward to their little cages when it's bed time. Pakki waits at the door for me to drop the flap, then I hear her go back up on her perch. There's never a peep out of her. Chloe always gives a couple loud chirps, then softly talks herself to sleep. She is hysterical!

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I cover Gertie's night cage completely (or she'll never go to sleep)

I cover Ollie's night cage on 3 sides, but the 4th side I leave open so he can see me. I discovered he sleeps best when it's like this.

Sam Mealy sleeps in her regular day cage, on a specific perch each night with just a night light...no covers.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
8 p.m.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Just got done covering the birdies... It's so quiet in here now! They like to be covered, they know it's bed time when they see the sheets... They're so funny they go to their sleeping perches & make little noises as they snuggle together or with their beds... We usually cover them around 9 - 10... I uncover them between 8 and 9. Awww, beak grindage, so sweet. :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I've covered mine from the get go. If I don't cover the Tweety and Piglet ('tiels) they seem to be upset by the shadows in the room and start hissing. I think it's just what they've gotten use to. :) I've never had a night fright, with my 'tiels or budgies. *knocks on wood*

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
Pico has a room with a sleeping cage and I cover it. He goes to be anywhere from 8:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on a week night. On the weekend I let him stay up till 9:30 or so.

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
I cover all of mine. Always have. Otherwise, they would never go to bed! lol

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
Patrick, Pico is the same way. A couple of weeks ago we had a guest stay in Pico's room for two nights, so I moved Pico in the family room upstairs - dark, but he could still hear us. He would start saying "Pico Pico Pico", then he would whistle. It was like he was telling me he knew we were still up & wanted to join us. He's a pill!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I don't anymore. At the other house there was a large picture window in the birdroom and the car lights driving by would bother the birds at night time, so I covered them. Where my birds are now it is completely dark so I don't have to worry about it.

hoose

Moving in
No I don`t ,only in summer when it`s lighting out so they don`t get scared . but you can also leave a night light on.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
None of mine are covered. I tried it and they seemed to hate it, so not being covered works best for us. My Blue Crown Conure (rehome) was covered all the time to keep him quiet in his previous homes and he sees it as punishment.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
All of our birds are covered. They go to their cages around 7pm in the autumn/winter and 8-9pm in the spring/summer. They usually get up at 8-9am. We like this routine and it seems our birds do as well.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I cover all of my birds except Marie, Reba, Malachi and Kiwi. They all don't like to be covered they are afraid of it. However, Dino will freak if you don't cover him and the Suns will scream. Cory just is used to being covered.

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
We have a cockatiel. We tried to cover him early on but we find that going uncovered and having a night light eliminates "night frights" for him.

As for bed time, I am ashamed to say that he goes to bed as late as 9 to 9:30 PM, when the kids go to bed. Once he climbs onto his favorite part of his favorite perch, jammed up against his favorite toy, he is quiet throughout the night. He is good about sleeping until he hears us up and moving around in the morning. I know that he naps while we are at work, so I hope that it makes up for the later bed-time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They get covered between 8pm-8:30pm - sometimes later on the weekends. (9pm)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Well mango has 4 covers over him,,lol as i make sure its dark and no drafts as i open thr balconie doors at night it changes the air he seems to count as i cover him if slow he squacks to tell me to hurry up,,lol bed time is any where from 11pm to 1 am he sets the time and gets up by 12 to 1 depending ,,lol

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I only covered Ruby's cage partially when her cage was too close to the window one winter. Other than that, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.