• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do budgies have to be in pairs?

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I am getting a parakeet from the shelter and she is alone. I was wondering if I would need to get another parakeet from the store to accompany her? Is it a necessity or not?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I believe they should be kept in pairs at least. They do so much better with company, and will talk and interact with each other all day long. In pairs they are quicker to try new things like vegetables or a birdbath or new toys. Single parakeets, especially untamed ones, are nervous and likely to spend a lot of time sitting still, afraid.

They can be tamed to an extent in pairs with food bribery. An adult rescue parakeet is probably not tame and should not be expected to step up and want to hang out, but they can be conditioned to jump on your hand for treats.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
She is tamed and knows some tricks like to perch on my finger, but she seems really uncomfortable.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I believe they should be kept in pairs at least. They do so much better with company, and will talk and interact with each other all day long. In pairs they are quicker to try new things like vegetables or a birdbath or new toys. Single parakeets, especially untamed ones, are nervous and likely to spend a lot of time sitting still, afraid.

They can be tamed to an extent in pairs with food bribery. An adult rescue parakeet is probably not tame and should not be expected to step up and want to hang out, but they can be conditioned to jump on your hand for treats.
Do you know if the genders matter? Can I put another female with her or should I introduce a male?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If she's tame, then she probably just needs time to settle in and be more comfortable. They don't necessarily need to be in pairs, they just are very social birds. If they are tame and someone's home most of the time, they do well as only budgies. But if they will be spending hours a day alone in a cage, or just aren't tame enough to enjoy interacting with people, then they really need another budgie friend.
For now, I'd focus on getting your budgie settled in and see how she is in another week or two. I wouldn't rush into a new budgie - in part because most pet store budgies tend to be mass-produced and often unhealthy. If you decide to get another one, it's well worth a bit of a wait to find a breeder you like. A male would probably be safest, as female budgies tend to be very bossy and sometimes aggressive.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I asked myself the same questions before getting a second budgie... I didn't want my first one to be lonely, or lack companionship, even though I am home with him all the time, I felt he would be more content with a pal. I kind of felt that I "lost him" emotionally when the new little female came to us five months after my male, since he pays so much attention to her that he pretty much ignores me!! But of course I have to act like the mature Mommy and suck it up. LOL. They do such a good job entertaining each other, preening each other, and playing, etc. that it's a lot of fun watching them. And they let me be a part of their lives - they like me when I give them treats, and food! :joyful::xflove::hilarious::laugh::roflmao:

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Give your little one at least two months to settle down first. Then you can start making arrangements for a friend.
It's a double edge sword in some cases.

A second birdie
Means that the other birdie won't be alone and will have someone to interact with etc.
however it does mean that you will need to quarantine for around 4-6weeks which means that the birds must be in separate cages and rooms with no chance of cross contamination. After they've cleard you can then put the cages next to each other for a few weeks and let them out seperatley. After that you can let them out together for a few weeks, change the larger cage around and move it to a new area and put both birds in. (Worked for me, though I introduced three and put them in one at a time)
You also need to be prepared that the original budgie may not accept a friend.

Also if you have a male get a budgie that is a male, you have a female get a female, then there isn't a chance of breeding. I Have four males and they do it sometimes but I know there is no chance of babies, which is a headache when you have no space or resources for them.

A single budgie
Will keep a close bond with you, no risk of infection, won't be Heart broken if it's flock mate dies (happened to mine).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good advice from everyone who posted. I would not put two female budgies together because when hormones are surging they may fight and one must be prepared to separate them for safety. Male and female together does not automatically mean they will mate. My two have been together for over one year now and there are no attempts to mate, no preening eachother or feeding eachother. If they did breed I would just substitute dummy eggs, no problem.

lyx

I agree with all the advice above!

With the two females thing, I agree probably not the best idea. A male would definitely be best.
I ended up with two females since the breeder told me they were baby males (LOL) and for the most part they get on well but I have to keep rearranging the cage so no one gets territorial over any perches/toys/etc and I have a second cage set up next to it for any time outs. Its a lot more work to keep the peace but I don't mind as I am home all day to supervise. :rolleyes: If I worked long hours I would keep them permanently separate.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I asked myself the same questions before getting a second budgie... I didn't want my first one to be lonely, or lack companionship, even though I am home with him all the time, I felt he would be more content with a pal. I kind of felt that I "lost him" emotionally when the new little female came to us five months after my male, since he pays so much attention to her that he pretty much ignores me!! But of course I have to act like the mature Mommy and suck it up. LOL. They do such a good job entertaining each other, preening each other, and playing, etc. that it's a lot of fun watching them. And they let me be a part of their lives - they like me when I give them treats, and food! :joyful::xflove::hilarious::laugh::roflmao:
LOL I think I may need to get a second one cause im not home all the time and shes alone for a few hour out of the day.

Serin

Then I would arrange to get two budgies at the same time, definitely don't wait two months. Most single budgies will not form any bond to you. You must get them very young to do that.

I have three, and they are all tame. The first one is the tamest, and he has not changed at all from the time before he had other bird friends to now. Still very, very tame and bonded to us.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My experience has been to get one budgie first and get that bird used to me and new home. Then I get a second budgie and things worked out well between them.

Serin

I would recommend this only with a baby parakeet. I would not plan to try to tame an adult rescue the same way.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My guys are all adults (ones 6 this year, others are close to two) and they trust me, fly to hand to get treats, sit on my bed with me etc.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would recommend this only with a baby parakeet. I would not plan to try to tame an adult rescue the same way.
Not a budgie true but I build trust with a senior abused cockatiel so I would say she could do the same with a budgie.
@Pip and Gracie it just takes time and a lot of treats:heart:

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I think she is pretty comfterble around me. This morning when I went to change her water and food, she came up and wanted to play.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
They were adults. It worked for me.
yea she seems to be warming up to me. she comes up to me when I change her food which is a new thing. Usually she would try to go to the corner away from me.

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
Not a budgie true but I build trust with a senior abused cockatiel so I would say she could do the same with a budgie.
@Pip and Gracie it just takes time and a lot of treats:heart:
do you have any recommendation of treats I got her some mango yogurt treats and she didnt touch them.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Yogurt is bad for birdies, they can't digest dairy.

Millet is great as a treat or a little fresh fruit like raspberry and banana.