• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet: pellets and/or sprouted seeds ?

Mico&Limon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Hi all.
I have a question regarding the caique diet. I have been giving Mico a diet consisting of mainly pellets (Nutribird G14) because it was what he was used to from the breeder and they strongly recommended pellets to be the main part of the diet. Then of course I give him fruits and vegetables, sunflower seeds, peeled or unpeeled, unpeeled peanuts, and sometimes let him taste whateer I am eating unless it's salty. It seemed to work fine.
Then recently I heard that pellets are not so health afterall, and could cause damage to the liver!?...
Also, my newest, Limon did not want the pellets at all as he was used to a mixture of seeds for parakeets from his last home.
After much research I learned they should have sprouted seeds - so I started with a mixture for parrots from South America, 'Prestige Premium Amazon Parrot Loro Parque Mix'. The seeds are soaked in water for 24h, rinsed, then put in a plastic bag for 24h, rinsed again and given to the birds. They seem to like them a lot, but now they do not touch the pellets at all.
Do you think this is an ok diet for them? Is there any other types of seeds you would recommend to sprout? Do you have any suggestions as to how, utilities ecc?
I would appreciate all advice here :)

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Wet seeds have no more nutrition than dry seeds. The moisture may make a low nutrition content more available, thats all IMHO

They definitely need a wide variety diet. Mine get some of everything. Veg/Fruit/Hi quality pellets and Loro Parque seed

Caique_n_Crafts

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Melissa Davis
Mine eat fruit veggie seed prllet nuts

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Mine get mixed vegetables, seeds, sprouts, brown rice, pasta, and fruit. I stopped feeding pellets years ago.