• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dehydrated snacks?

SkyeSweetheart

Moving in
Real Name
Tamara
I just recently got a black capped conure, and also a food dehydrator! What are some yummy fruits that birdies love dehydrated??

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Mine like apples, pears, bananas, and blueberries. The berries take a long time in the dehydrator (16 hours or so). Congratulations on the black capped conure! I have 2 green cheeked conures (I think they are the same species as the black capped), and they are just cuddle muffins!! Post pictures when you can!:Congratwav:

SkyeSweetheart

Moving in
Real Name
Tamara
Mine like apples, pears, bananas, and blueberries. The berries take a long time in the dehydrator (16 hours or so). Congratulations on the black capped conure! I have 2 green cheeked conures (I think they are the same species as the black capped), and they are just cuddle muffins!! Post pictures when you can!:Congratwav:
What food brand do you feed your conures? I don't care what the price is. I just want the healthiest balance I can get them

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
The dehydrated snacks have intensified the taste of sugar and the texture is different. I don't believe they have as many taste buds as humans. It's one of the reasons why they can handle hot peppers.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Do y'all's birds like dehydrated fruits more than fresh or is it something you do to keep it from spoiling? I keep seeing people talk about dehydrating food for their fids but I keep thinking that is a lot of work for Buzzard to fling on the floor. :laugh:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The dehydrated snacks have intensified the taste of sugar and the texture is different. I don't believe they have as many taste buds as humans. It's one of the reasons why they can handle hot peppers.
And if I'd've just waited a minute I'd've had my answer. :D Thank you @Familyof12

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I limit the amount of dehydrated food in their seed mixes. I notice they'll eat the fruit and seed before their roudybush crumble. I serve a lot of fresh fruit so I figured I should control their sugar intake a little better. Not that I'm perfect. He loves my Cinnamon Life cereal which I use non-lactose milk (I have a low tolerance to lactose). I realized I was giving a lot of sugar to them so I now get seed mixes without any fruit, buy dehydrated (I have a dehydrator but it's loud). Once in a long while I will treat them with some dehydrated foods, such as figs that I've baked myself over days and days without adding anything in my oven at 135. All of the figs were from a neighbor who I know to not spray and we exchange marmalade or fresh eggs for her figs. Those are saved for birthdays though because it's really sweet.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
The main diet that I feed my birds (2 green cheeked conures and 2 white bellied caiques) is Harrison’s Adult Lifetime Fine pellets (always available). Fresh fruits and veggies daily (bananas, berries, apples, sweet potatoes, sweet peppers, carrots, kale). Sprouted seeds first thing in the morning. I dehydrate fruits for when I’m away on vacation for the pet sitter to give to the birdies (or if I’m lazy).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only thing I dehydrate anymore is leafy greens. Then I pulverize them into a powder and mix with pellets or fresh food because they wont eat them otherwise! Except beet greens. They like those!!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have a friend that dehydrates apples, mango, sweet potato and larger items that he then puts on a skewer. Of course he has larger birds. I have thought of dehydrating my chop and using as a mix in for other stuff.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Figs are worth dehydrating for little fids as it takes them hours to eat it. All those little seeds inside? Mine will go at it for hours trying to get all the seeds out of the sticky molasses dried fruit. Then they have little brown beards! I can hear the crunch crunch crunch of them eating the fig seeds. It's the only fruit I feel is worth dehydrating for mine. They like fresh over dried. Even raisins.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Dehydrated food is wonderful and all but it’s very dry just like pellets. Birds Receive a good portion of their moisture from their food. So if you’re going to serve dehydrated food you need to up the water intake for the birds organs sake. Fresh is always better.