• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dehydrated/Freeze Dried food

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Due to the fact that I'm not always at home, I would love to give the new birdy ( who is come home in a few weeks! Had to be pushed forward due to slow weaning :) ) some vegetables whilst I'm gone everyday (obviously not for very long though). Is it ok to offer dehydrated/freeze dried veggies during those hours? I think I've read it cause dehydration but not sure so thought I would check.

Also, if I was to rehydrate them, would I have to treat it as fresh food ( no more than 2-3 hours).

Thanks! :laugh:

Jisoo

i think its okay to use freeze dried/dehydrated veggies. many shops for birds sell them so yeah.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Due to the fact that I'm not always at home, I would love to give the new birdy ( who is come home in a few weeks! Had to be pushed forward due to slow weaning :) ) some vegetables whilst I'm gone everyday (obviously not for very long though). Is it ok to offer dehydrated/freeze dried veggies during those hours? I think I've read it cause dehydration but not sure so thought I would check.

Also, if I was to rehydrate them, would I have to treat it as fresh food ( no more than 2-3 hours).

Thanks! :laugh:
Edit: I've heard it can cause dehydration when not rehydrated. :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No need to rehydrate the food. Once it's rehydrated it must be treated as you would with any fresh fruit or vegetable.
If the bird has free access to fresh water, there's really no concern for your bird becoming dehydrated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's truly a great option, plus if your bird finds them too dry, they'll usually dunk ;)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It would be hard to get that sent all the way here

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Could it be fed instead of fresh stuff as an entire diet?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I really like the look of your autumn one. Sounds very varied. I will be looking into it. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I get my paint brushes from the UK. Shipping is usually $14, not that much. But I just factor in shipping and order less often but more products at a time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Because SO much of the weight of veggies and fruits is water, it actually is pretty light, so you can get a lot ;)

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
I must try this! Anyone know good places to buy it?

Sorry for hijacking, @RainbowFlo
No problem! Other than the vendors, I only know of two places. Healthy supplies.co.uk or buying individual vegetables on Amazon and mixing them :)
Here's the link to the Healthy Supplies website: Freeze Dried They have more fruit than veg but they do have some veg. They also have powders that you could mix into other foods.
Buying from the vendors is always a great option though where you can! I don't think anyone beats them for quality :)