• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dehydrated bird chop/mix-in

wiggie2609

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
abbie
HI!! i worry about my birds and there general health, what they consume, what benefits that food has. i lost my 6 months old jenday conure 5 months ago to unknown causes, and that loss has made me fear greatly for my birds health and wellbeing. i strive for a healthy diet of chop, fresh vegetables, high quality pellets and sead mix in (my rescue bird will not take to a pellet only diet, so i mix it in his seed.) i plan on dehydrating fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and nuts for my birds, then for others, so they can buy a food that is 100% beneficial for there birds health and welbeing. i am here to learn, and i am here for advice. i want ingrediants that will support healthy bones, strong bones and healthy organs. with good probiotics for there digestive system, shell grit for calcium, strong bones and strong eggs for the hens. i will add plenty of benificial fruits vedge and nuts, but my question mainy is, what are good ingrediants that can be added for all the above, and please explain the benifits and what it does for our birds health.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Abbie :)

I have moved your thread here to the Feathered food court for better visibility.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
HI!! i worry about my birds and there general health, what they consume, what benefits that food has. i lost my 6 months old jenday conure 5 months ago to unknown causes, and that loss has made me fear greatly for my birds health and wellbeing. i strive for a healthy diet of chop, fresh vegetables, high quality pellets and sead mix in (my rescue bird will not take to a pellet only diet, so i mix it in his seed.) i plan on dehydrating fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and nuts for my birds, then for others, so they can buy a food that is 100% beneficial for there birds health and welbeing. i am here to learn, and i am here for advice. i want ingrediants that will support healthy bones, strong bones and healthy organs. with good probiotics for there digestive system, shell grit for calcium, strong bones and strong eggs for the hens. i will add plenty of benificial fruits vedge and nuts, but my question mainy is, what are good ingrediants that can be added for all the above, and please explain the benifits and what it does for our birds health.
I wouldn't try to create a product that fills all the nutritional needs for all birds. I mean, the large bird food companies are working that angle and they have large budgets and research vets on staff, which you probably can't meet.

What I can see a need for is a dried-chop (if that isn't an oxymoron) blend that birds are happy to eat dry.

At the moment, I'm mostly at home so I can take wet/moist food out before I have to worry about it spoiling. I would love to have something that I could leave out for them all day without worrying it would go bad.

I have an order in for a dried chop mix and my birds may like that, but, if they do, it's always good to have several sources in case one vendor goes out of business or just to have a variety of tastes.

And, if they don't, someone else (maybe you) might come up with a mix that is appealing to my birds even when dry.

Besides, most of the blends I see right now have fruit in them. No shade, I know for a lot of birds fruit is what'll get them to try something. My birds have no interest in fruit, so I'd rather have more blends available that don't include it.

wiggie2609

Real Name
abbie
I dont plan on fulfilling all the nutritional needs for birds, as dried chop cant replace fresh vegetables, but alot of bird owners dont know the benefits of what fresh fruits and vedgies bring, or they dont feel they have the time or they cant be bothered with the fresh stuff. I aim to make some dried chop, so atleast the less fortunate birds may have the chance for some nutrition in the seed

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might want to look into freeze-drying. Many veggies get rock-hard and unpalatable when dehydrated by heat. Freeze-drying gives a lighter and softer texture and doesn't harm important nutrients, like vitamins.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I spent many years stressing my birds and myself out to eat fresh vegetables, they just didn't like. There was no magical combination, shape they would eat.

I was using freeze dried corn and peas to break their seed addiction and it worked. They had the crunch and slight sweetness.

I started ordering more varieties of FD vegetables from different sources and as long as it stayed dry and crunchy, they would eat and the really hated stuff like kale and beets would be hidden in bird bread.

It's more expensive, about $60 every 3 months from Karen's naturals for 4 pounds and about $55.00 every 4 months for 2 quarts of mini chop from Texas naturals.
I also do a yearly order from Avian organics for a chunky chop to mix with one of her bread mixes.

I don't like to stress my bunch over their food choices, as long as its healthy. I wish they would eat Harrison's pellets but they choose zupreme fruity and I wish they would eat organic fresh chop but are eating FD vegetables twice a day and I'm happy and they seem happy with their diet.

It's not cheap and I do overtime to afford the extra cost. I"m not saying FD is the answer but there is a happy between in finding something your birds will eat happy and healthy and easing your consciousness that your feeding them a complete and healthy diet.

wiggie2609

Real Name
abbie
You might want to look into freeze-drying. Many veggies get rock-hard and unpalatable when dehydrated by heat. Freeze-drying gives a lighter and softer texture and doesn't harm important nutrients, like vitamins.
I was looking at ways to freeze dry without buying a freeze dryer, as they last longer, and as you say, keeps more nutrients of the fruits and vegetables