• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Dax, my 3yr old cockatiel, loves rubbing my face, but wont accept hand scritches

daxthetiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cheyenne
Hello all,

My little guy, Dax, seems to love scritches, and constantly asks for face-to-face rubs (I rub my cheek on his head) but absolutely cannot stand fingers near his face. He has no problem stepping up or hanging out on my hands (only mine, will not accept my husband's or visitors' hands), but I haven't had any success in him accepting hand scritches.

I would love to be able to scritch his face with my hands, since he loves it and it'd be way more effective with my hand, so does anyone have any advice on how I could get him used to the idea?

I've tried laying my hand in front of him while he's just hanging out and I've gotten him to lower his head like he's asking for a scritch in front of my hand, but every time I move, he pecks at me. I have given him positive enforcement when he gets his head close to my hand (happy voice - he's not food driven), but haven't really had success getting him all the way there.

One day I was scritching his face with my hands without realizing - I don't think either of us noticed lol - but as soon as I noticed, he pecked at me and wouldn't allow it again.

So I'm not sure if it's my attention to him while scritching, the way I'm moving my hand, or what, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: I have two dogs that get riled up when he's out of his cage, so having calm moments to try this are rare (when I can get my dogs out of the room and not barking), so I know that could be a factor. Any recommendations on getting my dogs (9yr yorki-mix and 7yr long hair dachshund) to chill around him would also be extremely appreciated!

IMG_6545.jpeg
(This is Dax on my bird hat. He doesn't like standing on my shoulder, so he hangs out on my head mostly, so I had to get a solution to unexpected bathroom breaks 0.0 - Any recommendations are getting him to hang out on my shoulder is appreciated too! I finally trained him to avoid getting on my head without the hat, but I'd like him to hang out where I can see him.)

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
These are tips that worked for me. I hope they can help you in some way. A more experienced forum member will be more knowledgable.
My cockatiel was fearful of hands, but still would let me pet his head. I would offer my finger, or scratch something in front of him and he would lay his head down.
My tiel was food-motivated so I would pair a treat and a touch to the head, starting from just holding me finger up. Helped him become more comfortable with the action.
Also, I would stop before he was done. And I could pet him longer if he couldn't see my finger.
Mood is important. Pick chill, sleepy times. Like sitting in the bathroom together or laying in bed.
I always say it is okay to ask, as long as you can accept the answer. I would ask my cockatiel and he would tell me no or yes.
You might can scratch him with an object (maybe a Q-tip) and slowly get your finger closer.
My budgie is more comfortable with cheek scratches, or at least starting there. He might prefer that.
My cockatiel was also not a shoulder bird. I would reward him with treats and let him fly to my shoulder so it was more his decision. I had to sit really still.

Last edited:

daxthetiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cheyenne
Those are tips that worked for me. I hope they can help you in some way. A more experienced forum member will be more knowledgable.
My cockatiel was fearful of hands, but still would let me pet his head. I would offer my finger, or scratch something in front of him and he would lay his head down.
My tiel was food-motivated so I would pair a treat and a touch to the head, starting from just holding me finger up. Helped him become more comfortable with the action.
Also, I would stop before he was done. And I could pet him longer if he couldn't see my finger.
Mood is important. Pick chill, sleepy times. Like sitting in the bathroom together or laying in bed.
I always say it is okay to ask, as long as you can accept the answer. I would ask my cockatiel and he would tell me no or yes.
You might can scratch him with an object (maybe a Q-tip) and slowly get your finger closer.
My budgie is more comfortable with cheek scratches, or at least starting there. He might prefer that.
My cockatiel was also not a shoulder bird. I would reward him with treats and let him fly to my shoulder so it was more his decision. I had to sit really still.
Oh, I'd never thought about using a q-tip! that's a fantastic idea!

I wish I could find a food my little guy would go crazy over, but even fresh fruits and millet are a hit or miss for him T.T He's all about his singing, which I can't exactly reward him with lol But I'll try out your tips and THANK YOU SO MUCH!