• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuddle huts

Cuttlefish

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kayla
Hello! This is my first time posting on this Forum, but someone on Instagram said this would be a good place to ask for help.
I have a 5 year old love bird named Lucy who has had a little cuddle hut since a friend purchased her that she has had since she was 1. She sleeps in it nightly and is very protective of it(my little brother put some seeds and paper shedding in there to help her build her ‘nest’ and by the next day everything was cleaned out on the floor of the cage). I’ve heard many people say that these cuddle huts are not good for birds so I’ve tried to take it out a few times but it always results in her beginning to pluck her feathers and just screams until it’s placed back. I’m not sure if I should just leave her with it(she doesn’t tear at it or anything, just sleep or when she’s scared she goes and hides in it) or try something else to get it out of there.

Attachments

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Is she a DNA female? Cuddle huts can result in unwanted hormonal behavior in females and result in egg laying. It sounds like she is viewing it as a nest, which isn't a good thing. It can make her hormonal and aggressive, and she could lay a clutch of eggs, if she really is a she. You never want an unmated female to lay eggs because it could result in chronic egg laying or even egg binding. This is all assuming that she actually is a female bird, of course. Did you get her DNAd or just guessing? :)

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Ive heard that cuttle huts can be very dangerous mentally and physically, they can get stuck or tangled, or have an increase in hormonal behavior like BirdWorld said. I dont have any advice for how to remove it. Sorry.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Cuddle huts are unnecessary, and on top of that are quite dangerous. Many birds have died from getting strangled in the threads or getting impacted from ingesting fibers.

And encouraging nesting behaviors is a bad idea, as if your bird is female it can encourage egg laying, which is extremely taxing on the bird's body.

Cuttlefish

Real Name
Kayla
Is she a DNA female? Cuddle huts can result in unwanted hormonal behavior in females and result in egg laying. It sounds like she is viewing it as a nest, which isn't a good thing. It can make her hormonal and aggressive, and she could lay a clutch of eggs, if she really is a she. You never want an unmated female to lay eggs because it could result in chronic egg laying or even egg binding. This is all assuming that she actually is a female bird, of course. Did you get her DNAd or just guessing? :)
Her original owner told me she was female but I don’t know if she was ever DNAd. I do believe she has laid fertile eggs in the past at her old home.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Does it open and unfold at the top? I'm wondering if you could remove it gradually in a way, by moving its hooks and slowly flattening it against the top of the cage over time and then taking it out after it's no longer usable. You'll need an extra two hooks.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Kayla :)

I do believe she has laid fertile eggs in the past at her old home.
What happened to her mate?

Does it open and unfold at the top? I'm wondering if you could remove it gradually in a way, by moving its hooks and slowly flattening it against the top of the cage over time and then taking it out after it's no longer usable. You'll need an extra two hooks.
I would try this, and remove it gradully. The day it´s finally removed, shuffle the cage too (move everything around, bowls, perches, toys the lot).

Cuttlefish

Real Name
Kayla
Welcome to the Avenue Kayla :)

What happened to her mate?

I would try this, and remove it gradully. The day it´s finally removed, shuffle the cage too (move everything around, bowls, perches, toys the lot).
Her mate escaped from his cage when their original owner tried cleaning it out and unfortunately a hawk got to him before his owner could

I will definitely try this, thank you!

Cuttlefish

Real Name
Kayla
Yes, I have some extra hooks from another cuddle hut that the original owner gave me that I never placed in the cage. I’ll definitely give this a shot! Thank you so much