• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Questions

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Do conures like to hold stuff in their feet? Would foot toys be a good idea? I have a couple of little jingly ball toys but not much other than that in terms of foot toys. I do have a bunch of toy parts though, so I could use those.

Also, food box cardboard is safe, right? So I can start saving some, to make toys.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Yep! Rupert mostly holds dry food in his foot -- pellets, millet, and sunflowers, but on occasion, he will hold a chunk of pepper or apple.

He loves foot toys!

Something to look forward to:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh what an angry little man! He looks like he's having a great time!

Lol our house will be so noisy! Between this future bird, Roxie (who's quite the talker!), and Fuzzgig, we'll never have a moment of quiet lol! Even Fuzzgig can get pretty loud when he wants to (like when he calls for a girlfriend at 3am).

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Who is fuzzgig? Never heard of him before!
He's my pacman frog! He's almost 4 years old. Here's a picture I took of him pretending to be a pancake in his water bowl, after his last feeding (he ate 4 worms! )
20200329_153624.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Oh what an angry little man! He looks like he's having a great time!

Lol our house will be so noisy! Between this future bird, Roxie (who's quite the talker!), and Fuzzgig, we'll never have a moment of quiet lol! Even Fuzzgig can get pretty loud when he wants to (like when he calls for a girlfriend at 3am).
He's generally not noisy, but when the jingly balls look at him funny, he'll go and give them hell. He will grab a ball with his foot and bonk himself in the face, too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When I was weaning my babies I offered them soaked zupreem pellets ( I like how they hold their shape ) along with cooked sweet potato. I served this in a 3-4 inch low wall ceramic dish for easy access. I would also offer to your new baby a wide variety of vegetables, steamed or lightly microwaved in a covered glass dish ( pyrex), butternut squash, acorn squash, golden beets to name just a few. None of mine like yellow squash or zucchini and are not too crazy about the butternut or acorn ( I didn't offer it back when they were babies and wish I had). The two crimson girls are eating the cooked golden beet, still trying to win the others on eating it. I also cook organic quinoa and separately cook carrot and sweet potato with butternut squash ( after finely chopping those veggies in my food processor) and then mixing it all together with some ceylon cinnamon.... I also add tiny minced cooked apple to that mix to sweeten it. A batch of this is frozen flat in zip lock baggies, break chunks off and let thaw. I cook other grains as well, rye, red wheat berries, white wheat berries, toss in a few lentils and split peas in the last 20 minutes or they'll cook too soft. All of my conure crew love whole raw sugar snap peas, whole raw baby carrots ( which will look like an orange shredded pile in the bottom of the cage) which may look like they only shredded it but the color of the poop tells me they actually ate some. They really love those small sweet peppers that come in a bag of mixed colors ( red, orange, yellow). They love cooked corn but don't get it too often. I buy fresh corn on the cob, cut 1/2 inch wheels and microwave in water for 3 minutes and let it sit. They get half of a wheel and shred the inner part of the cob too. For a hands on treat you can take fresh corn, cut a few kernals in half and then cook them in some water - better than always giving a seed treat. It's all trial an error to see what they'll eat. I don't buy any frozen veggies... I just like fresh. Whatever I'm feeding them... I eat while I'm making theirs. I hope you like vegetables!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Interestingly, I'm not a veggie fan but I love going shopping for bird food stuffs. I always buy fresh, cut and clean it, and freeze it.

A couple of things I'd like to do with Future Bird- target training, syringe training, and working on step up and flying to me.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do conures like to hold stuff in their feet? Would foot toys be a good idea? I have a couple of little jingly ball toys but not much other than that in terms of foot toys. I do have a bunch of toy parts though, so I could use those.

Also, food box cardboard is safe, right? So I can start saving some, to make toys.
Mine do, they'll hold the mini size of the Roudybush and zupreem with their feet to eat. Astro ( female green cheek) will grab at least four pieces of the zupreem in her beak, carry over to her water dish and throw them in the water. They float, she pick one at a time to crunch up, shake her head to get rid of excess water and then grab the next one until she eats them all and start the process over again. Her water looks like soup in five minutes. All that shaking to get rid of water.....also splatters fine bits of pellet on EVERYTHING in her cage. She's my messiest eater by far.

She also loves a bell toy.. I bought the small belltower from Jan when she had her last sale last year. Anything jingly... they love.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What size of pellets do yall feed? I was thinking of going with the cockatiel size of zupreem but now I'm wondering if it might be too big. Also, I'd imagine fresh foods should have a different bowl from dry?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Interestingly, I'm not a veggie fan but I love going shopping for bird food stuffs. I always buy fresh, cut and clean it, and freeze it.

A couple of things I'd like to do with Future Bird- target training, syringe training, and working on step up and flying to me.
Try it... you'll like it! It's just this last few months I finally decided to try the acorn squash. I don't like it baked but cutting 1/4 or thicker slices and steaming or in water... I really like the flavor. Same with the butternut and golden beets. Red beets are much more earthy in flavor. I don't feed fruits to the smaller birds much because.... when the weather warms up the palmetto bugs from outside are highly attracted to fruit. They're giant and gross. I wash my dog bowls out every night too and put them up. Cage papers are always changed at night to keep any foods from attracting those ugly critters.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What size of pellets do yall feed? I was thinking of going with the cockatiel size of zupreem but now I'm wondering if it might be too big. Also, I'd imagine fresh foods should have a different bowl from dry?
I do feed the cockatiel size zupreem ( always have so the size is not a problem) , the mini roudybush, and the fine harrisons. Yes, separate bowls for the dry and fresh foods. I have separate bowls for the pellets and seed as well. I ordered the 5 ounce stainless steel coop cups from Claire @Love My Zons . I also ordered the small ( not extra small) safety pumice perches that are smooth on top and pumice on the sides.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I get the Roudybush "small". Any larger, and Rupert wastes too much of it. Sherbie even eats this size.

Yep, separate bowls; one bowl for fresh veggies/chop, and another for pellets.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I get the Roudybush "small". Any larger, and Rupert wastes too much of it. Sherbie even eats this size.

Yep, separate bowls; one bowl for fresh veggies/chop, and another for pellets.
I buy the Roudybush "small" for Lola..she doesn't like the medium... at all... same stuff but she likes the small ( go figure). For me, the minis work better for my conures as they would waste too much of the small.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What was in your chop recipe for Chirp?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What was in your chop recipe for Chirp?
His was tailored to his needs (liver support and calcium for his beak), so his was Swiss chard, kale and dandelion greens, plus some baby broccoli and baby carrot for variety. I also offered sprouted quinoa for a while, but he didn't touch it. Although he was about the pickiest eater there was, so I'd hope it'd be easier with other birds.

What veggies would you suggest? Also should I leave it in bigger chunks? For Chirp I always chopped it teeny tiny so I could slip it in his mash and he'd eat it without knowing.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I don't remember who I bought the stainless steel kabob skewers from. I got the straight ones for threading on wood beads, cardboard slices, cupcake liners... what ever kind of shreddables... I don't use them to skewer vegetables because half way through the vegetable fall off.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't remember who I bought the stainless steel kabob skewers from. I got the straight ones for threading on wood beads, cardboard slices, cupcake liners... what ever kind of shreddables... I don't use them to skewer vegetables because half way through the vegetable fall off.
I scored 2 11inch SS skewers at pet supplies plus, 5$ each! Which is basically jackpot, I think! Hopefully I can put those to good use. I'll also need to get some foraging toys!