• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Questions

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
His was tailored to his needs (liver support and calcium for his beak), so his was Swiss chard, kale and dandelion greens, plus some baby broccoli and baby carrot for variety. I also offered sprouted quinoa for a while, but he didn't touch it. Although he was about the pickiest eater there was, so I'd hope it'd be easier with other birds.

What veggies would you suggest? Also should I leave it in bigger chunks? For Chirp I always chopped it teeny tiny so I could slip it in his mash and he'd eat it without knowing.
All of those would be fine but it wouldn't have to be as teeny tiny plus you can add quite a variety of other vegetables to it too. They really love carrot. I give them a different variety every day.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
California Bird Nerds sells a few different skewers: Stainless Steel Parts I think that's where most of mine came from. I know the mini ones are from Seriously Nutz.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I scored 2 11inch SS skewers at pet supplies plus, 5$ each! Which is basically jackpot, I think! Hopefully I can put those to good use. I'll also need to get some foraging toys!
The one thing I've never purchased ( or two things) vine balls ( look like leg traps to me) and sawgrass mats. Anything that has holes in it looks like a foot or leg trap to me.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I scored 2 11inch SS skewers at pet supplies plus, 5$ each! Which is basically jackpot, I think! Hopefully I can put those to good use. I'll also need to get some foraging toys!
That was a steal! :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A platform perch or two is a good idea too. Who is it that has the polkadot platform with the bowl insert? I don't have one but thought it was a good idea

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Neither of my two like vine stuff particularly. However, seagrass mats I've never had any trouble with... even with Budgies. The squares aren't too small or too large to cause a problem. Sherbs shreds them.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A platform perch or two is a good idea too. Who is it that has the polkadot platform with the bowl insert? I don't have one but thought it was a good idea
I think that would be TweetyPie's. I have a few of her other platforms.

The one thing I've never purchased ( or two things) vine balls ( look like leg traps to me) and sawgrass mats. Anything that has holes in it looks like a foot or leg trap to me.
Neither of my two like vine stuff particularly. However, seagrass mats I've never had any trouble with... even with Budgies. The squares aren't too small or too large to cause a problem. Sherbs shreds them.
I had seagrass mats for Chirp, he loved them. Sometimes he'd nibble on them, othert times he'd just sit on them and hang out. Never had any issues. I have some of them little ones all the way up to the big rectangular ones.

I have an abundance of toys, perches, extra little cages (I have grand plans for a mega play center lol) and playstands- I think whoever ends up here will be happy.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm super excited for you. :) I can't wait to see all of this unfold.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think that would be TweetyPie's. I have a few of her other platforms.

I had seagrass mats for Chirp, he loved them. Sometimes he'd nibble on them, othert times he'd just sit on them and hang out. Never had any issues. I have some of them little ones all the way up to the big rectangular ones.

I have an abundance of toys, perches, extra little cages (I have grand plans for a mega play center lol) and playstands- I think whoever ends up here will be happy.
Gosh... I think you're all set! So... have you picked out a baby yet? Or has a baby picked you?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Gosh... I think you're all set! So... have you picked out a baby yet? Or has a baby picked you?
No, not yet. I'm waiting until after my birthday (April 24th).

My dad and I have an arrangement. He'll cover the food and vet (we plan on getting insurance for Future Baby), plus needed things (toys and perches), and I cover the cost of the bird. So I'm waiting to save up a bit more money, that way I have it all set aside plus some extra for stuff.

And it's still too soon I think- I need some more time to mourn Chirp. I know my heart will tell me when I am ready, whenever that is.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another thing, who are the conure folks on the forum? I'm only familiar with the budgie side of things!
I have 3: 1 pineapple GCC and 2 dusky conures. My GCC is my nippiest, whereas my duskies are the cutest little clown birds. I'm really glad that I have 2 as they love to play with and groom each other. So sweet to watch!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
GCC’s are a delight!! I picked Waffle out 2 days after my cat passed so no judgement here. I brought her home about 2 months later.
I will catch up on this thread and add my two cents when I can.
Do you have a place in mind? It’s a bit of a drive for you but I *highly* recommend ParrotStars. I was a first time bird owner and they were HUGELY helpful in guiding me on my journey with my baby girl. She also knew how to do step-up and fly when I got her.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
GCC’s are a delight!! I picked Waffle out 2 days after my cat passed so no judgement here. I brought her home about 2 months later.
I will catch up on this thread and add my two cents when I can.
Do you have a place in mind? It’s a bit of a drive for you but I *highly* recommend ParrotStars. I was a first time bird owner and they were HUGELY helpful in guiding me on my journey with my baby girl. She also knew how to do step-up and fly when I got her.
I'm planning on Chicago Bird House in Orland Park, they're my usual bird place, and they're close enough that I could visit the baby :)

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
To answer the other questions—
Waffle mainly eats Roudybush minis plus fresh fruits & veggies (loves any peppers and apples especially. We did chop in the early days and I just got bad/busy about keeping it up.
Her favorite treats are either Nutriberries (the smaller ones, designated for Conures, Cockatiels, and similar sized birds) or plain shelled walnut pieces, which is what we use for trick training.
I do remember when she was little she seemed to have a little trouble grasping the concept of “play” and largely wanted to be cuddled. But if I put a baby carrot in a bamboo finger trap, she would forage for it.
Most of our toys are from JW Pet, @calibird, and @Mizzely ’s shop, Little Monsters. She loooooves anything made with balsa wood. :heart:

Last edited:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Also, we had her DNA tested at the vet (Niles Animal Hospital) but only because my friends pressured me about it! I am glad we did, though, so I can try to take steps to prevent egg laying.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We might be able to get the bird sooner than expected- Dad is willing to put down the second half of the deposit as my (early) birthday present :) We have some stuff we're dealing with right now though (Dad has a medical mystery with his foot currently) so we'll need to see how that goes first. But then we might be able to pick out a baby bird!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conure, Galahad, looves balls with bells inside, he'll push and throw them around his cage. He also likes to hop from perch to perch, I just moved him into a cage about the size of your cage and it's perfect for him. I got him as a baby and since day one he's a fantastic veggie eater. He'll try anything as long as he sees me eating it. His faves are yellow /orange bell peppers and apples. He was pretty clumsy when he came home, it was a combination of a nail trim and never having perches until he came home. For the first couple of months I had vet wrap on some of his perches and then I started removing them. I wanted to give him a chance to build up foot strength. I have a lovebird and two linnies as well, and I will say that Galahad is more needy than the others. He could easily be a velcro bird but I've worked on encouraging independence with him from the beginning. They are definitely little goofballs. Congrats, and I look forward to the pics!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
California Bird Nerds sells a few different skewers: Stainless Steel Parts I think that's where most of mine came from. I know the mini ones are from Seriously Nutz.
Oh, my conure's favorite thing is the 1/4" pine slices and the 1/4" notched pine slices from CABN. He only likes Ann's :D I think they're cut against the grain so they chip in chunks.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What's the verdict on birdie bagels? Do yall's birds like them? I also have some paper straws, some balsa and a few stray bits of pine, crinkle shred, cupcake papers, seagrass stuff, vine rings, yucca, sola, and a bunch of other stuff. I kept buying stuff before I realized Chirp didn't like to chew, lol.