• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant screaming... Help?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Good evening, parronts!

Charlie has never been a screamer (he is 2 years old and a half, had him since he was 2 months old), but I am starting to realize he may have developed a bit of a bad habit... :o:

Whenever we (my mom and/or myself) are not in the room, he will start screaming. If we stop moving and/or making noise, he will usually stop after a while, but this can take from a few minutes to an hour. Sometimes, he even screams when we are in the room and not paying attention to him.

This is definitely not normal vocalizations, it is ear piercing screams. He used to be really good at entertaining himself and whistling to himself until now. I am going to start rewarding when he plays with his toys or whistles again. His environment didn't change.

I figured it might be hormones, so I made him sleep longer nights and did my best to hide his object "mates" (any kind of flowy fabric, feet with or without socks, and cushions. Thats quite a handful!) Decreased hormonal behavior by a lot (Yay!! Victory!:cheer:) but not the screaming.

I've tried contact calling, giving him more veggies, switching toys (I just ordered new ones as well, can't wait to get them!), putting on music, the radio, or silence, to no avail.

He seems to be screaming for attention, even though we always did our best not to reinforce that. We wait for him to be quiet before letting him out of his cage (he gets 1-4 hours a day, not ideal but my mom won't let me bird proof the house), however sometimes he just wont stop screaming for an hour or more unless we enter the room, so we do so turning our back to him and waiting for him to be quiet for almost minute before saying "good job!" and letting him out. Is even entering the room wrong? I dont want to leave him screaming alone all day... :sad10:

I am considering getting him a bigger cage (his is around minimum), hoping that would help. I don't know if my mom will accept but I think at this point it is a necessity and will do my best to convince my mom. I ultimately want to make him a bird room, but I am afraid I'll have to wait to move out first.

I am unfortunately unable to offer him a bird companion, due to my mom, my asthma and my mental health. His screaming makes me so sad... I just want to make him the happiest and I'm trying the best I can. I am wondering if I'm doing the right thing or not, or if I just need to be more patient with training. I'm doing my best to be consistent but I am unsure if my mom does the same. I really hope we didn't accidentally reinforce a now well ingrained habit that will be hard to break. I'm a little hopeless right now lol, but I'm not giving up anytime soon! Rehoming is out of the question unless that is the best for him and him only.

Tips or letting me know if what I'm doing is okay or not would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! :heart:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I am eyeing this cage for him. Anyone have this cage? Or suggestions? Thanks!

Here is his current (small) cage I want to convert to a sleeping cage. He is a beautiful and pretty big boy, with magnificent full wings, he is around 100 grams of muscle according to the vet last year :) He is definitely due for an upgrade. We are going for a vet checkup soon and will ask them for advice as well.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is he out of his cage anytime? My attention seeking birds just fly over to me. End of squawking.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Is he out of his cage anytime? My attention seeking birds just fly over to me. End of squawking.
Of course! I try to give him as much out of cage time as possible, usually around 1-4 hours, varies a lot since busy college days or aggressive hormonal days happen unfortunately :o: Squawking does end once he is out indeed lol! But for him to be taken out he needs to stop squawking first... quite a vicious cycle :facepalm: Once I move out and bird proof a room for him he will be able to be out his cage more but that may take 2-5 years unfortunately, my mom isn't keep on bird proofing so I have to supervise him the whole time, which is why I want a bigger cage for him :xflove:

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Of course! I try to give him as much out of cage time as possible, usually around 1-4 hours, varies a lot since busy college days or aggressive hormonal days happen unfortunately :o: Squawking does end once he is out indeed lol! But for him to be taken out he needs to stop squawking first... quite a vicious cycle :facepalm: Once I move out and bird proof a room for him he will be able to be out his cage more but that may take 2-5 years unfortunately, my mom isn't keep on bird proofing so I have to supervise him the whole time, which is why I want a bigger cage for him :xflove:
Hmm. my advice isn’t mainstream but I let mine out whether they are squawking or not.

but I’m not in the same phase of life as you so I can’t offer any relatable solution. Someone younger will be of help soon hopefully.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hmm. my advice isn’t mainstream but I let mine out whether they are squawking or not.

but I’m not in the same phase of life as you so I can’t offer any relatable solution. Someone younger will be of help soon hopefully.
I mean, that is very fair :) I have considered this method as well, but I am afraid it will or already has reinforced it lol. Perhaps as a last resort or if he really isnt getting much time out of the cage! Thank you for your input :heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He can't see you and is worried, so he's flock calling. Develop a short phrase or a whistle to respond back to let him know you're still close and you're safe. You'll not stop him calling you, but you can reassure him and reduce the calls.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feel that a bigger cage might help some, maybe you can look into a flight cage. Does he have foraging opportunities? A loose routine may also help, because then he will know when to expect out of cage time. Is he in the main room if your house? Birds are often happier when they are in the busiest part of the house.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He can't see you and is worried, so he's flock calling. Develop a short phrase or a whistle to respond back to let him know you're still close and you're safe. You'll not stop him calling you, but you can reassure him and reduce the calls.
Plz tell me, how to do it? Means, when my bird is making flock calls, should I whistle back? How does it work?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Plz tell me, how to do it? Means, when my bird is making flock calls, should I whistle back? How does it work?
Yes, whistle in response to his calls, like your own flock calls. It can be a simple two note wolf-whistle. So long as you always use the same whistle every time he'll start to associate that whustle with you. Mom should have her own whistle so he can differentiate between the two of you.
If you can't whistle you can call out a simple phrase, something like "over here" or"I'm okay" will do great.
To help him associate you can use these whistles or phrases while you're in the same room as him.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If being out of his cage helps cut down on the screaming, I would also aim to increase his out of cage time as much as you feasibly can, while simultaneously work on getting him into a bigger setup. Since he is currently spending most of his time in the cage, it needs to be more than the minimum dimensions in order to give him space to exercise and have more toys, perches, and room to roam.

To me, the constant screaming is a warning sign that something is not working for him and he is upset. He is letting you know that he has unmet needs, either physical, emotional, or social. Address the root problem and the screams should reduce. Leave the root problem untouched, and the symptoms are going to keep coming back.

With a single bird who screams when left alone, I think unmet social needs or boredom are likely root causes. Giving him more to do while in his cage will help with boredom ... more space, more toys, more forage opportunities. Also more out-of-cage time, although I realize that it is not always going to be an option. For social needs, as a solo bird, you are his entire flock. Parrots are not built to be alone - they are flock animals. It is natural for him to worry if you leave him behind. He wants to stay with the flock, where it is safe. Using a flock call or simple greeting when he calls for when you are out of the room, is a great way to cut down on incessant screaming, because it lets him know that you are not abandoning him and will be back soon.

Don't stay away or completely ignore him until the screaming stops, just go about your business and talk to him in a calm voice so he knows everything is okay. In the jungle, silence is a bad sign. You might also try playing music for him. It helps with boredom, loneliness, and stress.

I would also second saroj12's advice regarding letting him out, when you are in a position to safely do so, regardless of his current noise level. You shouldn't always wait until he STARTS to scream before thinking about letting him out, of course. Try to aim to let him out before he reaches that point, if possible. But if you want to let him out and he happens to be making a lot of noise, that shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Getting into a stable routine can also help both you and the bird, because he will know when to expect out of cage time. Just be sure to be consistent. Once he knows the schedule, he will expect you to stick to it!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I've been starting to wolf whistle as a flock call! I think he likes it :laugh: I kept hearing about people whose birds stopped screaming when they flock called which is why I was wondering if it was going to work for Charlie or not, but you're right when you say it won't stop it, makes more sense actually haha! I do want to reassure him though :) Perhaps this will reduce the calls a bit eventually, but this shouldn't be my main goal. Got it!

I feel that a bigger cage might help some, maybe you can look into a flight cage. Does he have foraging opportunities? A loose routine may also help, because then he will know when to expect out of cage time. Is he in the main room if your house? Birds are often happier when they are in the busiest part of the house.
I am definitely looking into a flight cage! What do you guys think of this one? I am also going to give him more foraging opportunities and teach him how to forage better again, I have to admit I might have loosened foraging a bit too much lately due to college :o: But my semester ends soon which will be the perfect time for training, foraging and more out of cage time yay! He does have a loose routine, but my class hours change day to day so it does change his routine too. I'll still try to tighten it a bit more! He is in the main room of the house as well :) He mainly screams when we are in the kitchen lol so I'll try to keep him busier when that happens!

Yes, whistle in response to his calls, like your own flock calls. It can be a simple two note wolf-whistle. So long as you always use the same whistle every time he'll start to associate that whustle with you. Mom should have her own whistle so he can differentiate between the two of you.
If you can't whistle you can call out a simple phrase, something like "over here" or"I'm okay" will do great.
To help him associate you can use these whistles or phrases while you're in the same room as him.
Got it! I'll ask my mom to find a consistent call to practice :) I think Charlie already associates me with the wolf whistling!

If being out of his cage helps cut down on the screaming, I would also aim to increase his out of cage time as much as you feasibly can, while simultaneously work on getting him into a bigger setup. Since he is currently spending most of his time in the cage, it needs to be more than the minimum dimensions in order to give him space to exercise and have more toys, perches, and room to roam.

To me, the constant screaming is a warning sign that something is not working for him and he is upset. He is letting you know that he has unmet needs, either physical, emotional, or social. Address the root problem and the screams should reduce. Leave the root problem untouched, and the symptoms are going to keep coming back.

With a single bird who screams when left alone, I think unmet social needs or boredom are likely root causes. Giving him more to do while in his cage will help with boredom ... more space, more toys, more forage opportunities. Also more out-of-cage time, although I realize that it is not always going to be an option. For social needs, as a solo bird, you are his entire flock. Parrots are not built to be alone - they are flock animals. It is natural for him to worry if you leave him behind. He wants to stay with the flock, where it is safe. Using a flock call or simple greeting when he calls for when you are out of the room, is a great way to cut down on incessant screaming, because it lets him know that you are not abandoning him and will be back soon.

Don't stay away or completely ignore him until the screaming stops, just go about your business and talk to him in a calm voice so he knows everything is okay. In the jungle, silence is a bad sign. You might also try playing music for him. It helps with boredom, loneliness, and stress.

I would also second saroj12's advice regarding letting him out, when you are in a position to safely do so, regardless of his current noise level. You shouldn't always wait until he STARTS to scream before thinking about letting him out, of course. Try to aim to let him out before he reaches that point, if possible. But if you want to let him out and he happens to be making a lot of noise, that shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Getting into a stable routine can also help both you and the bird, because he will know when to expect out of cage time. Just be sure to be consistent. Once he knows the schedule, he will expect you to stick to it!
Yup I'm definitely trying to give him more out of cage time and will be getting him a bigger cage, thanks for confirming my hypothesis! I am aware I am his only flock and that if he screams it is because his needs are unmet, which is why the whole situation made me feel so sad and helpless because I couldnt figure out what to do to help :( But now I know what I need to do! (cage, routine, out of cage time, etc.) And I'll definitely give him more stuff to do like foraging and establish a flock call!

You're making me realize what made his screaming worse may not have been accidental reinforcment like I initially thought, but ignoring it. I kept hearing everywhere that I needed to ignore the screaming, but you are right that is the furthest from natural for him. I'm so glad I asked you guys! Although I'll still try to let him out mainly when he is quiet, screaming definitely won't be a deal breaker anymore :xflove: I am starting to recognize when he will want to start screaming so I try to give him attention or let him out before he starts, or plan to give him a shower beforehand since that calms him down! I do play him music and try to stick to a routine, although I'll definitely be trying harder :)

Thank you so very much for your advice everyone!! I appreciate it a lot! :loveshower:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You've got a ton of great advice though! Just wanted to add my own experience; I have a screamy Tiel who had trouble occupying herself. A bigger cage made a big difference for me (once i could convince her to actually explore and play in it); now she's content to stay in and do her thing more often than not.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oh! I should also add that you might want to look into target-training as a way to reduce boredom and develop positive behaviors. Training with your parrot lets you develop better communication skills and gives you "tools" to mold and reinforce desired behaviors.

It doesn't need to be super intense or time-consuming training. In fact, short fun sessions are better. You don't want either of you getting bored or frustrated, so keep it positive and stop before it gets old.

A lot of behavioral issues stem from a failure to communicate. Either we don't pick up the more subtle signs, so the bird escalates to screaming and biting to force us to act or we misunderstand what we are seeing and respond the wrong way. By working with your bird using target training, you gain new ways to communicate and you get better at reading bird body language. It is a win-win for you and your bird!

Just keep in mind that training is a longterm solution. Changing your own behavior or making a change to the environment will always provide quicker results than trying to adjust the bird's behavior directly. But if you do some training now, you can end up solving many future problems more easily - like giving medicine, weighing your bird, putting him into a travel cage, or getting him down off a high perch.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
You've got a ton of great advice though! Just wanted to add my own experience; I have a screamy Tiel who had trouble occupying herself. A bigger cage made a big difference for me (once i could convince her to actually explore and play in it); now she's content to stay in and do her thing more often than not.
I'm so glad to hear that!! I hope a bigger cage will help Charlie too!!! :loveshower:

Oh! I should also add that you might want to look into target-training as a way to reduce boredom and develop positive behaviors. Training with your parrot lets you develop better communication skills and gives you "tools" to mold and reinforce desired behaviors.

It doesn't need to be super intense or time-consuming training. In fact, short fun sessions are better. You don't want either of you getting bored or frustrated, so keep it positive and stop before it gets old.

A lot of behavioral issues stem from a failure to communicate. Either we don't pick up the more subtle signs, so the bird escalates to screaming and biting to force us to act or we misunderstand what we are seeing and respond the wrong way. By working with your bird using target training, you gain new ways to communicate and you get better at reading bird body language. It is a win-win for you and your bird!

Just keep in mind that training is a longterm solution. Changing your own behavior or making a change to the environment will always provide quicker results than trying to adjust the bird's behavior directly. But if you do some training now, you can end up solving many future problems more easily - like giving medicine, weighing your bird, putting him into a travel cage, or getting him down off a high perch.
Yes I've considered target training to relieve boredom as well, thanks a bunch for the reminder!! You're right by saying that it will be a useful tool and help with communication, now I'm even more convinced! A win-win indeed :D

I've been considering recall training as well :) I assume I should teach one trick at a time to avoid confusing him or does that not matter much?

I just took a shower with Charlie and he is now peacefully preening and grinding his beak on top of his cage, never fails to make him happy :xflove:

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think some members have that cage you linked and are happy with it. I can’t remember who though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The other thing I would ask is, where is his cage at? If you put it where he can see you the most, that will also likely cut down on the screaming. If he's in his room all my himself then that can be a big trigger.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
The other thing I would ask is, where is his cage at? If you put it where he can see you the most, that will also likely cut down on the screaming. If he's in his room all my himself then that can be a big trigger.
He's in the second busiest room of the house, but I started rolling his cage in the living room where I am the most almost every day! It does help :) I might move him there permanently but he seems to like the windows in the other room too