• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerning behavior Pacific Parrotlet

dlc94

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
David
Hello all, we have an approx 16 year old Pacific Parrotlet named Beeper, last night we noticed a slight tail bob before bed, and he was breathing a little heavier than usual, I stayed up most of the night watching him and all seemed okay, until we noticed him doing it again this morning.
We decided to take him to the vet this morning, they didnt really see anything major, but have an NSAID shot and prescribed antibiotics.

We got home and got him comfy and covered so he could take a nap as he was exhausted and stressed from the vet, shot and long car ride.

When he started to fall asleep, he started doing a head twitch that we've never seen before and can't find any videos of other parrots doing similar. It's not the wiggle of regurgitation, nor is it adjusting the crop, he doesn't open his mouth, and it looks almost involuntary. Temp and humidity are good, and we got a heating pad in there now to raise the temp a bit in case he was cold due to his age and stress. He's been eating and drinking, poop looks good.

We've sent these videos to the vet, and are waiting for a reply but figured I'd shoot it out to see if anyone else has seen this before, and will post updates from the vet in case anyone else comes across this in the future

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I saw the twitch happen a few times.

I’m wondering if he might have some gunk in his nose or sinuses?

He’s a pretty old guy. I’m glad your vet is reviewing those photos. It almost looks like the neurological tremors or twitch of a very old person.

Nhan_Dxo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nhan
My oldest parrotlets are only 12 so he hasn't done any kinds of twitching like that but I do know of budgies and lineolated who are 18+ that do/have done that motion. I was told by vets that it's kind of an involuntary muscle reaction similar to old people who experience spasms because bodily processes break down.

Yea, it's an old age thing and absolutely concerning to observe but if the diet is good and you can figure out what is causing the tail bobbing I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Little buddy is getting up there in the numbers but if he's still responding to his name, eating, and being attentive then he's doing awesome.