• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coconut has a Cyst, can I save Her leg??

TheCrows

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello guys ! I have been an avid reader of Avian Avenue for a few years but this time, I had to make an account because I need help.

My 2 year old Peach-faced Lovebird Coconut has had a cyst on her leg since early December 2022. It's at a hidden spot underneath her leg and it keeps getting bigger.

Unfortunately, avian vets here are hard to come by, there is one and the wait list is long. Or you can drive two hours to an Animal hospital. So when a month came and went and we saw our vet, she drained the cyst telling us she's getting blood work and cyst analysis done.

Her tests showed that it was in fact a cyst. There was no confirmation on whether or not it is benign. Only that the blood work showed an increase of these "red flag cyst cells." She used a technical term and I cannot remember it but she said she and the pathologist had never seen anything like it in birds. Only in other animals.

So they drained the cyst and 8 weeks later we're back in the vets office to drain it once more because it had filled back up. The Vet came back from the physical examination and told me that they could not remove it, as it's such a small thing and that it was not a sack in itself. Under all the drained liquid was a mushy sack of cyst that she could not remove.

She tells me again that she's never seen anything like it and that they're going to write to the Animal hospital (two hours from here) for a second opinion.

Two days later I recieved a phone call from the vet, we are the night of. The animal hospital recommends an amputation. Or frequent draining with the hope it doesn't become malignant. (If it isn't already because we're unsure.)

Any of you have anything similar ever happen? Is this something that could be reabsorbed? Has this ever happened before?

Keep in mind, Coconut is two years old and very hungry, playful and hormonal. She perches every night, gets all the sleep she needs, we feed her veggies and pellets. She has never had a plucking issue nor the need to pick at her cyst. Nor has she ever laid an egg. I have seen her struggle mobility wise, scratching her neck has become more difficult and I have seen her have balance issues but when the cyst is drained, her mobility returns.

Attached (Possibly sensitive?) Are photos of December and January.
It looks like a balloon on her leg and when you stretch it out, it's quite obvious.

The last picture is her, so you can understand how important she is to me. What is the best way to put her health and quality of life first?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hello,
Coconut is gorgeous..im sorry your sweet girl is going through this..

I just wanted to offer support.

But I don't have any advice to offer ..

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello, TheCrow, and Welcome!

I'm sorry your gorgeous girlie is going through this. I'm sorry, too, that you don't have much by way of Avian vets in your area. Many of us have to drive an hour or more with our birds to be seen.

I don't have Lovebirds, so I can't speak to what they might be prone to as far as cysts are concerned. The location of the cyst makes it look as though it is right on the joint. It looks almost like a ganglion cyst (one filled with joint fluid). If it were my bird, I would try to get the vet records from your recent visits emailed to the vet hospital that you stated is an hour away. They may be willing to consult with your local vet for a consultation fee. Or, they may be willing to review your bird's case (records, photos, any lab results). It might be helpful to have that second opinion.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz and @Milo May have some advice for you. Your girlie is adorable so im sorry that you and she are going through this.

TheCrows

Hello, TheCrow, and Welcome!

I'm sorry your gorgeous girlie is going through this. I'm sorry, too, that you don't have much by way of Avian vets in your area. Many of us have to drive an hour or more with our birds to be seen.

I don't have Lovebirds, so I can't speak to what they might be prone to as far as cysts are concerned. The location of the cyst makes it look as though it is right on the joint. It looks almost like a ganglion cyst (one filled with joint fluid). If it were my bird, I would try to get the vet records from your recent visits emailed to the vet hospital that you stated is an hour away. They may be willing to consult with your local vet for a consultation fee. Or, they may be willing to review your bird's case (records, photos, any lab results). It might be helpful to have that second opinion.
I'll try to get a hold of the vet files, for now I haven't seen any. As for the hospital, she's supposedly transfering my file asap. She's basically going to act as a supervisory roll "closer" to home where as they're going to be taking over Coconuts dossier and taking us from there.

I've heard of Vetster, if I can get a hold of the files I can send some online for a second opinion. Since my vet was distraught, the only advice I have is from the hospital when they looked over Coco's file for a treatment option at my vets request.

I have accepted the transfer and am anxious for them to call me. These things take time and I am unfortunately impatient. Fortunately her behaviour has not changed recently and that gives me hope.

I will look into Ganglion joint cysts, it's new information to me and I thank you for it. My vet said it was exactly at the joint level, but she was truly shocked as she had never seen anything like it before. This community is so kind, I was at the end of my rope trying to care for a little birb that is truly part of my family.

Everyone has been so nice on this thread. You're all amazing, I didn't expect anyone to reply and I'm so grateful for all of you.

It means the world to me.

To thank you, here is Coconut, way too happy to be out before I've had my coffee.

Attachments

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you will hear from the hospital soon. Hopefully, the lab work done so far will provide useful information for the hospital staff. Give your sweet girl a special treat! Hang in there!

TheCrows

Thank you Kassiani, I'll give her a treat in your honor!

TheCrows

Poor sweetie. I can't imagine I would consider amputation until I had no other choices but you are doing the right thing getting more opinions.
The only thing I can think of is cutting off my own leg for a cyst, like I get that it's small but there has to be another option?

I hope so anyways.