• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel losing A LOT of feathers

Amber2018

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amber
Hi!
Im getting really worried because my approximately 12 years old cockatiel, Stanley, is losing a lot of feathers. They’re everywhere, and all different sizes. I’ve seen crest feathers and his orange cheek feathers a couple times. It’s been at least a couple weeks now.
He is acting pretty normal otherwise and there is new feather growth. But it makes me sad that he’s still losing so many :( had this happened to anyone else?
He’s also had dry skin for as long as I’ve had him. His skin does look a bit irritated but how can I fix that?

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The new feather growth is a great sign that it’s most likely just normal moulting.
Both my birds seem to constantly drop feathers- I start to worry when I haven’t seen a random feather somewhere for a few days lol.
Try extra bathing/ showers for the skin or upping your humidity.

Amber2018

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amber
Thank you! I’ll try that. I actually have a small humidifier that I bought for my bedroom but I’ll use it around Stanley to see if it helps

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Mimi’s been going through a heavy molt this month too, I think it’s just the time of year for them. My vacuum is getting a run for it’s money though.

I second extra baths, and if your bird will let you, go for those pesky crest pinnies. Mimi always loves when I flake those off for her. :lol:

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
My cockatiel is moulting right now too.
Just seen a cheek feather as I was reading your post lol

Amber2018

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amber
Thank you everyone for the input! I’m feeling better about Stanley but of course I’ll continue to keep an eye out on him