• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent cockatiel attacked by dog

ChichiMango

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey this is my first post here and I signed up so I can get some advice.
It was just 20 mins ago, I stupidly let my dog in while my cockatiels are out of their cage. One of them got spooked by something and started flying, which my dog saw and started chasing her. Then my bird got cornered and my dog started biting(??) the bird and small feathers were going everywhere. I later shooed away the dog and checked the bird, and she doesn't look like she has any visible injuries other than a small bald spot next to her right eye. She was breathing heavily and was startled but she's calm now and I manage to bring her back to the cage. I want to bring her to the vets but they're not open until Tuesday. What do you think I should do? Should i clean her a bit?

Attachments

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Vet, ASAP. Dogs and cats carry deadly bacteria in their saliva and your tiel can die very quickly from infection. He needs antibiotics.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The area around her eye looks sore and if your dog was biting her you should take her to the vet. Is there an emergency vet in your area? Are there no vets opened on the weekend? Monitor her closely. Check her thoroughly and make sure there are no injuries. Even if you see nothing externally there could be internal injuries (I hope not.).
Keep her quiet and let her rest but do consider finding a vet to take her to.
You can check on this website for vets:
Association of Avian Veterinarians

Hope your 'tiel will be OK.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Your poor wee bird. I would definitely be trying to get an emergency vet. That bald patch around the eye and the feather loss alone needs checked and as @iamwhoiam stated, she needs to be resting and monitored closely. She may have puncture wounds elsewhere from the dog.
Hope she is okay...please keep us posted :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
she needs an antibiotics shot ASAP!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I thought only cats had the deadly bacteria.

The vet can also give your baby something to help calm him down. I am sorry this happened. I too have a dog with high prey drive, and even with the best of intentions these things happen. :(

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thanks for joining to help out your bird. Vet is the best idea. Hope you can find one close enough. Please keep us posted. You must be stressed out with worry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I thought only cats had the deadly bacteria.

The vet can also give your baby something to help calm him down. I am sorry this happened. I too have a dog with high prey drive, and even with the best of intentions these things happen. :(

No not just cats. Many mammals carry the pastuerella bacteria and it is quite deadly to birds. Dogs, ferrets, rats, raccoons, cats are all carriers of the pastuerella bacteria and can infect a bird with a tiny bite or getting saliva into the eyes, mouth or a small wound. In human it is commonly known as cat scratch fever.

ChichiMango

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for the replies.
It's been a couple of hours and she's acting normal like how she does (eg. Eating, wanting pets) but I'll keep a close watch on her.
I'll try to bring her to a vet asap because I'm worried about the saliva thing.
Thank you guys

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am sorry that happened but relieved to hear that you will take her to the vet and ensure that she will be safer from now on.
Hope she heals well.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It's been a couple of hours and she's acting normal like how she does (eg. Eating, wanting pets) but I'll keep a close watch on her.
Thank you guys

don't "try". Do it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

No not just cats. Many mammals carry the pastuerella bacteria and it is quite deadly to birds. Dogs, ferrets, rats, raccoons, cats are all carriers of the pastuerella bacteria and can infect a bird with a tiny bite or getting saliva into the eyes, mouth or a small wound. In human it is commonly known as cat scratch fever.
Thanks!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you guys
That's an emergency situation. An Avian Vet is needed and time is of the essence. I lost my first Budgie less than 24 hours after he was in contact with cat saliva. Please don't delay.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thank you guys
The saliva thing is very real and can kill a bird in a few days without a antibiotic. I rescued a baby grackle from a cat and was feeding and keeping it safe and warm. At first he was fine and acting like any scared wild bird that we try to help. In a day he got kinda sluggish at times and by the next day he was very sick and died from the minor cat bite poisoning:( I would at least try to find some antibiotics that will counteract the stuff she MIGHT have gotten into her system but hope you take her to the vet and either way she turns out fine, good luck and we're all hoping for the best outcome here.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that she seems to be doing better but have a vet check her. It's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she’s okay, the poor little bird must have been scared to death. I hope you take her to a vet, even if it’s just an emergency vet to get antibiotics. It could save her life, and if you see that she’s becoming ill, it might be too late at that point.