• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewed screen protector (did he eat glass/plastic?)

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
My bird cracked my screen on the edge and started chewing for about a minute or two on something in his mouth. Could it be glass in his mouth or just the popping noise made by his beak sometimes?
C688D21E-802F-43D6-9770-9726EDF608B7.jpeg
Should I take him to the vet?

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc bit a piece off of a ceramic bowl and was indeed chewing on it. I took her to the vet in case she swallowed any because ceramic can have lead in it. She was ok and apparently didn't swallow any of it. I would at least call a vet and ask about it

conureluv

I think he’s ok; it’s been a few hours later and he’s himself, plus I think that screen protector is plastic—and I checked in with a relative who went to med school and I’m awaiting her reply to see if I should take him to the vet.

conureluv

Also, @Donna turner , what was the price? I have a limited budget (under 100$) and don’t want to spend a bunch for an exam :(
(It sounds like I’m bad, doesn’t it?)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My vet said to give him peanut butter to bind the glass in case it was ingested. My cover was glass. email your vet or call tomorrow. I have one bird who is allergic to peanuts so check with the vet first.

conureluv

Ok, my relative vet lady said:
“If he would have eaten glass, his esophogas is super tiny, so we would have heard/seen regurgitation. He was happy, chatty and dancing in the shower, and he wouldn’t be acting like that if he ate glass most likely.”

She also said that the glass was already broken there, so we think he’s ok :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I had an X-ray to make sure no lead was in her because she was really happily crunching up the ceramic. I don't remember the exact cost but it was under $100 However I live in Mississippi and things are relatively cheap here compared to the cost I see people quote on this forum