• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chaz our hybrid Macaw is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hang in there Ann, the Baytril kicks in pretty quickly. :hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Ann, I'm just seeing this. What did your vet say about the image seen on the Xrays? Was it determined to be metal, or unknown? Post #32, "vet4dragons" sounds very helpful. If no improvement by next day, it might be a good idea to get a referral thru them for an Avian vet. Peanut butter helps move swallowed things thru the digestive tract, just don't give big blobs, as they can choke. Best of luck to you, dear, & Chaz. Please PM me if I can help you in any way. Billy Fae has my trust in how to help in an emergency!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that the medicine will help.

Matt

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thinking about you and Chaz.... I hope everything is going well for you guys and he is doing lots better.....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How is Chaz doing now, Ann?

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Thinking of you and Chaz and John. :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Hoping that the antibiotics are doing their work and that Chaz is feeling somewhat better :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
Prayers still going out to you and Chaz Ann. Please let the meds kick in quickly so your handsome boy can get back to feeling better. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you so much all you wonderful people for the friendship and support you give to us all. Chaz ate nearly a whole fresh cherry this morning and that was a huge step forward. He has had all his meds for today and has been huddled up under his lamp with his head under his wing.
He is now so used to being towelled and tries to help me get it around him, think it is his way of getting it over with quicker!
He is hanging on in there and yet another night in front of us so hopefully the time factor will kick in and help him get stronger.
He has passed a bright green poo yesterday and know that must be down to whatever infection he has picked up.
Yes Lance Jepson is a wonderful Vet for the Exotics and parrots, but to get hold of him is not that easy since he has become so famous. He is jetting all over the Country and even others so not around like he used to be.
Billa our Vet has worked with him and I know if she wanted to have help from his experience she would contact him. At the moment we are doing all she has told us and will wait to see if there is any improvement by the time the courses come to an end. Then will be the crunch time.
Chaz must have been a locksmith in an earlier life as he will insist on taking locks, and toys apart. I have been unable to stop him even being in the same room as him he manages to undo things without you seeing. We think he may have swallowed something whilst enjoying his pasttime.When he is next x-rayed it may show that he has past whatever out of his system. One can but hope.:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
has your vet talked about chelation therapy to remove the heavy metals in his system?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi glad he is holding in there. We are currently seeing another bird/exotic vet (Fike Molenaar) who has worked with Lance and is available in Carmarthen and Haverford west Fenton practice if that's any help. Yeah it is harder to see Lance these days, we have in the past had to go to various surgeries around south wales to try and see him!
Anyhow, I hope Chaz pulls through and returns to full strength. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you for that info Gazzington, will keep it in mind. We are chugging along and know that we have to wait for the meds to do their work, so will keep on until. Should things go pear shaped will keep your info in mind and know that Billa our Vet would be the first one to ask for some help if it is going to be needed. Thank you all the same though, it is worth knowing.

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Happy to hear Chaz is feeling a bit better - how scary for you guys :hug8:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Ann--still thinking about you & Chaz. I wish him a quick, complete recovery. Does he in fact have heavy metal poisoning? And, if so, what is the chelation agent being used, if you don't mind me asking? My Sun Conure Nicky came down w/lead poisoning when he was around 3, & that really did the trick. Ciprofloxacin & penicillamine were what was used for him. It somehow precipitates the lead out of the blood. Amazing to me that something that sounds like what you would give to a child w/an earache can save a parrot from poisoning.

Sonny

Walking the driveway
Chaz seems to be a pretty tuff cookie. Glad to hear he is doing better and eating. I cant say much of this matter its way above my experience. But my fingers are crossed for a fast and speedy recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.