• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chaz our hybrid Macaw is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Wasn't Jay the "protector" of him when they came to you????

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Yes Billiefaye, Chaz could do no wrong and Jay was like an older brother and put up with everything he dished out to him. They have certainly come into their own and are two totally different birds to the two who arrived all those years ago.
Keeping an eye on Chaz as he is now back eating on his own and do not want him to lose any of his condition, but he is such a picky eater it feels as if he is going to go down the same path as before if I do not watch him closely.
I have this feeling what ever was wrong with him is still there lurking and will take hold again if I just let it. Have spoken to our Vet and she is willing to look at him again should the need arise. So for now will just keep a good weather eye on him. :confused:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
What might have happened in all these years with them together, Jay could have been influencing him on what he "could" eat....meaning I have watched "pairs" where one is more dominate, allow the other just to eat certain things....and causes BIG problems with birds that are confined to cages....most people don't watch them after they feed them and just how they inter react with each other over foods....that is why I have always given at least TWO feed dishes far away from each other so BOTH can eat what they want if they are in the same cage! For birds that are "free" flying loose in a room....same thing will happen, one /two birds will go to other cages and eat and keep the "owner" out while they do this...another reason to have more than just a few feeding dishes placed in different areas and not all together...So now Chaz is learning to eat on his own....and slowly learning that the food he might have missed is good for him...try adding what you have been feeding in the syringe (without the water) to the foods you are feeding him/about 1/4 tsp to begin with to coat the foods he is now eating..just an idea...:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thanks Billiefaye, it was as you say with the birds whilst in the same cage but the boot was on the other foot. chaz was telling Jay what he could and could not do! Jay took it all from him and would not look out for himself but he is well capable.
Now they are in their own cages that has sorted itself out thank goodness.
Felt that chaz was not eating properly yesterday and this morning I gave him the formula from the syringe again and he slurped it all up. will cut down the feeds daily and just hope he will take over given time. I have spoken to our Vet and she is willing to take a further look at him and X-ray him again if the need arises.
He is full of his own importance and quite lively and happy in himself so will give it time. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
A member of another bird forum here in Britain has suggested that I am trying to humanise Chaz by feeding him and confusing his as to what his gender is! Sorry all but I am spitting feathers here and gave him short shrift.
We all have diverse opinions on how to look after our flocks but trying to humanise any of my birds has never entered the equasion. Any way think they are too intelligent for that to come off. :D
Do give warm meals to them before they are covered in the cold Winter months and think then it is appreciated and needed by them all but give me a break, trying to make human pets out of my birds? Whatever next. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.