• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chaz our hybrid Macaw is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Poor Chaz. I hope he starts improving soon. Lots of healing energy sent your way.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Prayers going out for Chaz. I hope the meds kick in soon and he starts to feel better. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you one and all and just about to try spoon feeding him with some of Billiefayes remedies. John and Steve shot down to Town and came back with them and now he is under his lamp but all puffed up and head under his wing.
Our Vet admits to being a novice with what she calls exotics and so far has not been back in touch so should think the results are slow in getting to her because of our Bank holidays.
If I have not heard by this evening going to ring her and see if it might quicken things up.
Jay flew over to the top of his cage last night and stayed with him until he had to go in, they are so fond of one another and when the chips are down it shows that they care a lot for one another despite the quarrelling over Scooby the Grey when well.
I did not get much shut eye last night so my eyes are burning now. Will try and put my head down after feeding Chaz. thank you for all your help it is much appreciated. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Get some rest Ann, we don't need you feeling poorly too!:hug8: Sending more good energy to Chaz's recovery!:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thinking of you Ann. Many hugs, I know you will do everything you can for Chaz. :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Chaz is feeling better soon. Hugs all around :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying for Chaz Ann:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sending up more prayers for Chaz and you too!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thinking of you both and hope Chaz feels better real soon. Keeping Chaz in my prayers. :hug8:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Crowley Flock is praying for you and Chaz Heal soon Mr CHaz...

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Well Billa our Vet has rung and had some results back. Enough to know he has an infection and so he is now on Baytril twice a day also. We had to dash down to Milford to the surgery to pick up the antibiotics and some syringes to feed him with.
He is all puffed up and sleeping at the moment but have put all his medication and foodstuffs onto his own tray and getting to look more like emergency ward 10 by the minute!
Feeling more optomistic at him seeing the night through tonight and hopefully by morning will be hydrated and stronger. One day and night at a time. :hug8:Thank you all for your valuable help and friendship.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi Anne. I hope your Macaw gets better. My BFA is suffering from sinus troubles at the moment and is being treated with anti fungals, so I am terrified that he may have aspers. I noticed that you live in Wales and I found an avian vet which has a surgery that I think is quite near you. The link to his website is: vet4dragons - a Veterinary Referral and Consultancy Services
He is who I take Lupin to. I hope this may be of some help for you, and you have my best wishes.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Glad to hear you at least know what is going on. Prayers that he will get better soon! :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm happy to hear you've found out his troubles, and they're easily treatable. Hope he gets well quickly! Nothing is worse than when our babies are feeling poorly.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:to Chaz, you and John, and the rest of your flock :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
That's good BUT realize that he will not want to eat when on Baytril and you need to keep trying...ALSO....can you get Yogurt with LIVE (The words "live and active cultures" refer to the living organisms, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, which convert pasteurized milk to yogurt during fermentation.) Live Culture in it? This will help his gut flora during and after his Baytril meds....it is OK to give at the same time.....get plain yogurt...this will help you to add your applesauce / or sweet potatoes to it.....but get the Pedilyte and mix in with the foods tood....measure by teaspoons size to see how much you are getting into him at this point! Another way to try to get food into a macaw is to use a straw...suck up some food about 1 inch into the straw...holding your finger tip over the top end so it doesn't drop out and see how he reacts to the straw when put into his beack ( you can cut the straw down to about 4-6 inches so you don't scare him)...and when he bites the straw food will be released into him mouth....Sending HEALING ENERGY to CHAZ and Claming energy to you... I know you will do your very best with him...and it wouldn't hurt to scratch his head and talk softly to him after giving him the meds and then a little applesauce on the finger tip...Baytril is UCKY in taste and they don't like it! :hug8::heart:

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Hoping Chaz feels better soon..........................:hug8:to you......................

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I agree with talking and touching that always feels good from mommy. God lay your hand on chaz and help the big man through his illness and give Ann strenth AND rest ;) to be there for him.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Status
Not open for further replies.