• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
When I recently purchased these 4 birds, they were paired the opposite from what they are now paired with. They were all four together, I observed them and it seemed that switching them out might be a better idea because the Teal colored male showed more interest in the yellow colored female. Tonight I went into the bird room to find that blood had been drawn between the two blues. Do you think I should switch them back? I’m not sure where to go from here…It appears that the female beat up on her male. He seems ok now. It obviously happened at the feeding dish.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When I recently purchased these 4 birds, they were paired the opposite from what they are now paired with. They were all four together, I observed them and it seemed that switching them out might be a better idea because the Teal colored male showed more interest in the yellow colored female. Tonight I went into the bird room to find that blood had been drawn between the two blues. Do you think I should switch them back? I’m not sure where to go from here…It appears that the female beat up on her male. He seems ok now. It obviously happened at the feeding dish.
How is the bird who lost all this blood? That is a fair bit of a loss for a budgie, I must admit I am a bit concerned.

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
He is fine today. Looks like a lot of blood however it may just have been spread out from the water. They are not fighting now. I think they just got into it over some limited food in one dish. I added another dish so no problem now.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’d keep an eye on him & feed him lots of extra veggies, millet & boiled eggs!

It takes human donors ~48 hours to get their volume back, but weeks to get the components of their blood back.

STOP READING IF YOU DON’T LIKE MEDICAL DETAILS!!!

I don’t know how to fuzzy paragraphs.

:thewave:

YOU’VE BEEN WARNED.

Budgies truly don’t have much blood. I know, because one of mine died exsanguinated. I never posted the description on AA, because it’s too gruesome. But I’ve seen their total blood volume, unfortunately.

IME, budgie blood is much lighter coloured than ours. Poor Moss had none left & I agree that what I see in your pics is a significant amount. I doubt it’s diluted much, if at all.

If that were my budgie, I’d be worried & babying him in his own cage. If you don’t have a spare cage, 2 of everything - water, food, high perches, & all on opposite sides so one budgie can’t claim it all!

Keep us posted!

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I can switch cages with the two other breeders in my stacked cages and put up a divider in between birds to give him some space for now. I gave them separate feed dishes. They seem to be ok. I will keep an eye on them.

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I agree the little yellow is a girl, but personally I am inclined to believe the English girl is not your boy's "chosen mate". Unless you mean that's the mate you picked for him?
Would it be a bad move to switch the pairs back again. When I got them the breeder had them set up with opposite mates. Since neither pair seem bonded, maybe this is an option still? It’s only been a few weeks since I introduced them to their current mate.

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
Hey team, approx 6 weeks old. What do we think?
IMG_5658.jpeg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks pinkish to me.... and photos with natural lighting more likely to be helpful.

Females don't get the crusty brown cere until they are usually several months old.

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
Looks pinkish to me.... and photos with natural lighting more likely to be helpful.

Females don't get the crusty brown cere until they are usually several months old.
Well heck! :laugh:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Agreed. At 6 weeks a female's cere would still be blue.

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
Ok, here’s another one that may also not be helpful but it’s what I’ve got cause they’re skittish. Honestly the more I look at them and research, the more I’m confused.
At this point, I have a budgie haha.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are you sure of the age? Maybe it’s an adult female?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well spotted!

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
Are you sure of the age? Maybe it’s an adult female?
Nope, the breeder advised its from the newest clutch and approx 6 weeks old (maybe more like 7-8 weeks now).

I can spend a couple hours this afternoon trying to get some good pics near the window so we can have a good nosey.

Last edited:

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
Ok, got Moss trying some soaked seeds and snapped this one in front of the window. I think this is a good depiction of the actual colours that are going on. I also think that in person, his cere is going more powdery blue. But perhaps that’s in my head?

Attachments