• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Found it on FB just now :)
budgies.jpg

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Is the female going to stay like that even when she is not being bred? the dark brown I mean

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is the female going to stay like that even when she is not being bred? the dark brown I mean

Yes and no... I've had some females that *always* had a brown cere, and I've also had some females "molt" their cere, too. As in, the brown, flakey park fell off and it was white/blue underneath, then the cere turned tan, then brown, and became a crusty brown coloration again.

Here's a picture of two girls that I had purchased together. I bought both with crusty brown ceres, but shortly after taking them home, the blue one lost half of her crusty brown cere - which you can see in the photo.

The following image is one photo that has been cropped/switched around. The blue female is on the left (obviously), and it was to compare the blue of a hen to the blue of a male (on right). As you can see, no crusty brown coloration!

Same blue female, you can see her cere turning tan in this photo.

This last photo (again, she's on left!), her cere coloration is back to a dark crusty brown coloration.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Thing to remember, it's different in INO birds. Also young birds are... Difficult. So now, I need two males.

I'll see if I can spot a few Ino birds this tradesday, the vendors are usually nice about letting me snap pictures!

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Ok but does this mean that she is trying to "get" with the boys? I don't have the expertise to care for babies. I suppose I can replace eggs if they do happen, but also, there are 3 birds in this cage, two males one female. I am looking for a another budgie to round out the home.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Odin, birds are always trying to "get with" each other. Breeding and food are the two largest drives birds have, and most things they do are geared towards that. A males presence is stimulating her to come in to breeding mode. It's not the only thing. Food avalabilaty, lighting, nesting areas, etc all can push a hen to be in breeding mode. Now budgies, being kept so long in captivity, are always going to be easy to trigger.

Long story short, yes she is thinking about a family! Just don't give her places to lay, and you will be fine.

Melek

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Julie
Hi, Can anyone tell me what sex my new budgie is & maybe his/her age?
I was told by breeder "young male". Am now very confused.
Thanks
Melek
X

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Blue one looks male but the other bird is in the wrong position to see the coloring of cere.

Melek

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Julie
Blue one looks male but the other bird is in the wrong position to see the coloring of cere.
Hi, its the same bird. He is white with light blue front. Sorry I think the photos make it look like two different birds.
Thank you for your help though.
I will try to get better photo's later when he goes back in his cage {which doesn't look like any time soon}.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Looks like a male to me. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran