• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceres for those interested

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The new bird came home, twice but that's a diffrent story lol. Anyway the more I watch my Dominant pied boy with her the more I'm convinced it's a her... he loves having her around and she loves giving him the buisness View attachment 404870
Oh yes, she's a girl :heart:

Shinobu

Moving in
Real Name
Mwieden
Does anyone have any experience attempting to sex an albino budgie? My daughter got her bird, Shinobu, yesterday and obviously the colors that are present might not be fully accurate. Any other tips for figuring out age or sexing without using markings? Shinobu does have faint marks by her eyes, seen better on the outdoor (caged) photo on the right, when zoomed in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does anyone have any experience attempting to sex an albino budgie? My daughter got her bird, Shinobu, yesterday and obviously the colors that are present might not be fully accurate. Any other tips for figuring out age or sexing without using markings? Shinobu does have faint marks by her eyes, seen better on the outdoor (caged) photo on the right, when zoomed in.
She's a girl :heart:

Shinobu

Moving in
Real Name
Mwieden
She's a girl :heart:
We’ve randomly been calling her that. Even though she’s our first parakeet, we had a feeling. She’s pretty quiet and reserved still; although, we took her outside (in her cage) and she started playing like crazy and talking to the neighborhood finches. How can you tell a male from a female, when albino?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
None of the various mutations will affect a female's cere, only males are affected. Can see clearly in your pics her cere has already started turning white so three to four months of age?

Shinobu

Moving in
Real Name
Mwieden
None of the various mutations will affect a female's cere, only males are affected. Can see clearly in your pics her cere has already started turning white so three to four months of age?
I just read up on leg bands. Is there any variation in colors or are the colors based on the year of birth and that’s that? Hers is definitely green, which, according to what I read, is a 2020 birthdate. Is she actually two years old? Would pet stores keep them that long or sell them at that age. She’s super sweet and is already happy to start sitting on our hands (if properly bribed & with no force); but, that seems odd to me. I can’t see her head stripes (if that’s what the technical name is- ha, since she’s albino). Is there another way to figure out her age?

Also, if you’re reading this and are knowledgeable on parakeets in general, I also have a post in the 911 section, asking about her “ribs” (of her wing) now showing and the fact that she’s now only sitting on the floor of her cage. Does she look ok to you all? Please comment with that info. on the 911 post, as I want to follow protocol. with that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just read up on leg bands. Is there any variation in colors or are the colors based on the year of birth and that’s that? Hers is definitely green, which, according to what I read, is a 2020 birthdate. Is she actually two years old? Would pet stores keep them that long or sell them at that age. She’s super sweet and is already happy to start sitting on our hands (if properly bribed & with no force); but, that seems odd to me. I can’t see her head stripes (if that’s what the technical name is- ha, since she’s albino). Is there another way to figure out her age?

Also, if you’re reading this and are knowledgeable on parakeets in general, I also have a post in the 911 section, asking about her “ribs” (of her wing) now showing and the fact that she’s now only sitting on the floor of her cage. Does she look ok to you all? Please comment with that info. on the 911 post, as I want to follow protocol. with that.
She's still a young girl so I'd say the breeder is not following convention and is just using whatever colour he wants - likely left-over bands he bought in 2020.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's awfully cute! Hope everything's okay.

FancyFan

Moving in
Hello everyone! Am back after a year from getting Sol, and to proudly let know that he ended up a recessive pied, as his eyes remained black

So, decided to go to PetSmart to get him more seed, and brought home this little one, think is girl, though lighting in store made look darker, so thought was male when purchased, as love the coloring

What is your expert eyes and experience say

Attachments

FancyFan

Moving in
If can tell what type, sex, and age that be great! Thinking is younger than Sol was, when got him last year, Monica end up being correct on him.

FancyFan

Moving in
Have in quarantine atm, and is rooted in that spot as see in photo so far, but will look at me when talk to it as checking on it periodically, see if going to eat ect…Though did chirp once when heard Sol in other room :) Will get first day of choppy in morning before go to work! Naming this one, Sky :)

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, the new budgie. What are you naming her?

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I recently (few days ago) set up 2 pair of English Budgies in separate breeding cages with nest boxes in a newly created breeding room. In the same room I initially allowed my very tame Cockatiel and his small yellow parakeet companion (6 mos old) free fly during the day in the same room. Yesterday, to my surprise, the young yellow parakeet was exchanging & regurgitating with my male blue English Budgie through cage bars. First of all, I think the yellow parakeet is male, sings like one & copies sound easily, like one, in fact sounds like a Cockatiel most days, lol. Now I’m wondering if he is a female. He/she is distracting the male Budgie from it’s chosen mate, for one and I am surprised because now I’m unsure of the sex. I removed him from bird room, anyway & he seems fine, for now. What do you think this parakeet is Male or female? Or is he/she too young to tell on a yellow bird?

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The yellow budgie looks female. I think you have a love triangle. Can you post pictures of the heads of all your budgies?!

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
First 2 are in one cage and other two paired in the other cage. It is the bird in #3 picture from the left that was interested in the yellow parakeet. FYI, the yellow parakeet {Poppy} is in another location now.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sky blue, top = male
Multicoloured bird, top = female
Bottom bird, millet above shoulder = male
Bottom bird, millet below tail = female.

You really do have a love triangle!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I agree the little yellow is a girl, but personally I am inclined to believe the English girl is not your boy's "chosen mate". Unless you mean that's the mate you picked for him?