• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Canary fledglings having seizure episode i need help - sad update #52

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
update: my canary fledglings are now 1 month old. today morning i woke up to see the youngest fledgling dead in the cage next to his siblings, i got really sad but it got worse as i saw his siblings having what looks like a seizure episode they were jumping, flapping their wings like crazy and fall on their backs and scream. They’re still being fed by their parents and they’re getting cared of but idk what to do now, i also can’t take them to a vet as my city is under a curfew cuz of the outbreak, so i really need help rn idk what to do!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i also can’t take them to a vet as my city is under a curfew
Where are you located? Even in most of the strictest areas in lockdown, vet visits for emergencies are permitted.
Put the sibling in the fridge, call the vet, see what the situation is. Try calling an emergency vet if you reg vet is not open.

@finchly @Hankmacaw @mythic55

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
Where are you located? Even in most of the strictest areas in lockdown, vet visits for emergencies are permitted.
Put the sibling in the fridge, call the vet, see what the situation is. Try calling an emergency vet if you reg vet is not open.

@finchly @Hankmacaw @mythic55
we’re under a curfew and all vet clinics are closed, i’m calling a bunch of doctors but none are replying. How can i contact those veterans plz, i really need help they just had another episode now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What EXACTLY are you feeding the parents?

Is there any chance of contamination or poison (the water they're drinking for example) think of everything.

Remove every single item from the cage and wash it. Change the food and water.

Could the parents be siblings?

I'm just tossing out ideas as they come to me. I once had 5 young canaries out of 7 die in one day before I finally changed the water; apparently the drinker had not been rinsed well.

As far as the vet -- keep calling. Some vet will meet you for emergency care.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Any toxins in the air? Hair spray? Cooking with teflon cookware?

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike

Is there any chance of contamination or poison (the water they're drinking for example) think of everything.

I'm just tossing out ideas as they come to me. I once had 5 young canaries out of 7 die in one day before I finally changed the water; apparently the drinker had not been rinsed well.

i did i washed and cleaned the whole cage including the water bottles and the branches/sticks. they’re not answering

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
in

i feed them canary seeds idk what brand exactly, i also feed them boiled eggs, vegetables, and fruits, safe ones of course

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could be a calcium deficiency? Can you get any liquid calcium? SPROUTS has it,, couple drops in a syringe per baby.. once a day for 7 days..oh dear, maybe move the babies to a hospital tank with a heating pad? @mythic55

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It could be diet related. It sounds like they are low on some nutrients Anyway from their diet.

How are they doing now?

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
It could be diet related. It sounds like they are low on some nutrients Anyway from their diet.

How are they doing now?
they’re sleeping with their parents but the parents are only feeding one fledgling. I had 3 one died today and i’m scared if the 2nd one dies tomorrow ugh. idk but i provide (safe) fruit, vegetables and seeds every single day and everyday i change the water bottle. so idk i’m just siting and watching them sleep cuz it might be the last night with them :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You aren’t able to hand feed? Are they eating the food you’re giving them?

Soak millet in water for 30 minutes it makes it easier to eat.

If you’re in the US pet stores have hand feeding formula. Usually canaries need to be fed by parents or hand fed until 6 weeks.

Im wondering if the parents are pecking at the babies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any updates on how your birds are doing?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tanya could this possibly be some type of hypo glycemic response?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tanya could this possibly be some type of hypo glycemic response?
Could be, I don’t have any experience with that.

jam123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne mike
also one of the fledglings developed what looks like an air sac rupture i think the fledgling accidentally injured himself during his seizure episode last week. He is fine now but the what looks like a bubble is still there but there’s a problem and that i can’t go outside now and idk how to treat it or whatever is needed to get rid of it.