• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can you leave birds unsupervised?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
So i’ve been keeping my birds unsupervised for months now with no problems. all of a sudden i’m being told it’s dangerous.
i don’t let one of them out with the others due to size.
but i’ve never had a problem and i’m not sure anymore

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on your birds, your situation, etc.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What do you mean by leaving them out unsupervised. Does that mean while you are at home, but not in the same room? Does that mean for hours while you are gone from the house? Do you have other pets like dogs or cats? We need more information.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
What do you mean by leaving them out unsupervised. Does that mean while you are at home, but not in the same room? Does that mean for hours while you are gone from the house? Do you have other pets like dogs or cats? We need more information.
yeah i am home but not in the same room. if i am not home or no one is the birds go in their cages. no dogs and cats since they have their own room. the room is their room as well as my bedroom. one of my birds is a cape parrot and did attack a smaller one so she’s not ever out with the others unsupervised

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can kill each other through cage bars so if they are still in the same room together, that would be a worry for me.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Birds can kill each other through cage bars so if they are still in the same room together, that would be a worry for me.
yes that’s what i’ve heard! the cape isn’t aggressive at all to the other birds. it was when they were all getting used to each other. i missed the signs because i’ve never seen my cape being aggressive but isla the jenday obviously pushed blaise the cape over the line. since then they are fine. they don’t love each other mainly my jenday that causes the issues

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
yes that’s what i’ve heard! the cape isn’t aggressive at all to the other birds. it was when they were all getting used to each other. i missed the signs because i’ve never seen my cape being aggressive but isla the jenday obviously pushed blaise the cape over the line. since then they are fine. they don’t love each other mainly my jenday that causes the issues
oh and also the top of the cage has a cover over it so they can’t get their feet through the bars. never seen them try to get in blaise’s cage through the bars at all. blaise likes to sit at the back of the cage and chew her favourite toys!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It definitely depends on you, the bird(s) & your situation. I have dogs and birds in the house. My birds are flighted and allowed to fly when we are home. But the 2 we currently have need to be supervised because my sun will go after my sons cockatiel if given the chance. The only one we ever left unsupervised was our macaw Ry and that was because he never ever left his cage unless you came and got him

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My birds live in an outdoor aviary so they are cage-free and "unsupervised" for most of the day, but since they are in a space that has been carefully designed for bird safety, I am not that worried about them. I check on them multiple times each day, but I don't spend every available second watching them ... although I do love hanging out in the aviary, just chilling.

Leaving birds unsupervised in a human household is much more risky due to the wide range of perfectly normal hazards that exist in the average household - electrical wires, toilet bowls, tight spaces, poisonous substances, open doors/windows, etc. If you are watching your bird, you can rescue it, if it falls into an open box and pulls a blanket down on top of it or lands in a pot of water on the stove or starts chewing on a box of dish soap. But if you leave the room, your bird might be injured or dead by the time you return. A lot can happen, even in a few minutes, let alone hours, of unsupervised time in an open room. And if a door or window is left open, the bird can be gone in mere moments.

On the other hand, if they are in an indoor aviary or carefully designed bird room, they might be just as safe as they would be in a small cage. If the space is 100% bird safe and all hazards have been carefully removed, I don't see any problem with leaving the bird unattended. The tricky part is ensuring that the entire space is really safe AND that the bird can't exit the safe space unintentionally.

I'd also mention that some birds are more trustworthy than others. A fiesty little parrotlet who is constantly getting into trouble and discovering new things to chew is a poor candidate for unsupervised time, while a calm older parrot who spends most of her time sitting on a play tree and looking out windows is a much safer bet.

Ideally, your home should be completely bird safe, but realistically, that is rarely 100% true. Any amount of unattended time is taking the risk that something might happen to your bird while you are too far away to help them. But if you take the time to do proper risk assessment and risk management, I do think it is possible to lower that risk to an acceptable level, especially in your own home where you can exert a lot of control over the space.

Personally, I am a big advocate for bird rooms and both indoor and outdoor aviary setups. I think that we should strive to provide our birds with as much freedom as we safely can for their physical and emotional wellbeing. But not everyone is in a position to create a dedicated bird space. And if your birds are in a room that was designed for people, not birds, it is important to be extra vigilant to protect your birds from the hidden dangers that are likely present. A big part of that vigilance involves not leaving your birds unsupervised in a potentially hazardous location.

Better safe than sorry!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
For your reading:

that was very helpful! a lot of those things i don’t have since they live in my bedroom which is a bird room too. so i don’t have water glasses out or other stuff like knifes or ovens. i do have them toys outside of their cages. that’s always a worry but suppose i have them in the cages too. i mean i’ve never had a problem doing what i’m doing but not sure really! i only want to do the right thing

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
My birds live in an outdoor aviary so they are cage-free and "unsupervised" for most of the day, but since they are in a space that has been carefully designed for bird safety, I am not that worried about them. I check on them multiple times each day, but I don't spend every available second watching them ... although I do love hanging out in the aviary, just chilling.

Leaving birds unsupervised in a human household is much more risky due to the wide range of perfectly normal hazards that exist in the average household - electrical wires, toilet bowls, tight spaces, poisonous substances, open doors/windows, etc. If you are watching your bird, you can rescue it, if it falls into an open box and pulls a blanket down on top of it or lands in a pot of water on the stove or starts chewing on a box of dish soap. But if you leave the room, your bird might be injured or dead by the time you return. A lot can happen, even in a few minutes, let alone hours, of unsupervised time in an open room. And if a door or window is left open, the bird can be gone in mere moments.

On the other hand, if they are in an indoor aviary or carefully designed bird room, they might be just as safe as they would be in a small cage. If the space is 100% bird safe and all hazards have been carefully removed, I don't see any problem with leaving the bird unattended. The tricky part is ensuring that the entire space is really safe AND that the bird can't exit the safe space unintentionally.

I'd also mention that some birds are more trustworthy than others. A fiesty little parrotlet who is constantly getting into trouble and discovering new things to chew is a poor candidate for unsupervised time, while a calm older parrot who spends most of her time sitting on a play tree and looking out windows is a much safer bet.

Ideally, your home should be completely bird safe, but realistically, that is rarely 100% true. Any amount of unattended time is taking the risk that something might happen to your bird while you are too far away to help them. But if you take the time to do proper risk assessment and risk management, I do think it is possible to lower that risk to an acceptable level, especially in your own home where you can exert a lot of control over the space.

Personally, I am a big advocate for bird rooms and both indoor and outdoor aviary setups. I think that we should strive to provide our birds with as much freedom as we safely can for their physical and emotional wellbeing. But not everyone is in a position to create a dedicated bird space. And if your birds are in a room that was designed for people, not birds, it is important to be extra vigilant to protect your birds from the hidden dangers that are likely present. A big part of that vigilance involves not leaving your birds unsupervised in a potentially hazardous location.

Better safe than sorry!
thank you so all this! my birds live in my bedroom even though it’s mainly a bird room now i like to think of it as i sleep in their room not mine! so i don’t have a lot of the common dangers like ovens or the other stuff you spoke about. the one wire i’ve seen the having a go at i’ve covered and the rest are always covered anyway. but i always want to be safe! everything i’ve found which isn’t safe i’ve removed

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be cautious about having them out together. So many posts about a bird injuring another bird start with "I've had them for years and they'd always been fine with each other until today". It only takes seconds for something to go badly wrong.

Birds are also experts at injuring themselves with the most unlikely of things: getting tangled in curtains, playing with paperclips on your desk, even getting accidentally sat on because they were on a sofa or bed.