• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Building trust

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
Honey has been doing a lot better with me giving her treats but still working on building the trust to get her to be more active. Small things do scare her but its a work in progress. And she has been getting better with me giving her scratches but only when I move at a very slow pace.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It just takes time and patience and sounds as if you are taking your time with Honey and being patient. Go slow and let her behavior guide you.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have a Kakariki, Riti, that I have worked with for close to 1 1/2 years. She was so flighty and s uch a scared little girl when I got her she'd flip out when I got near her cage. Now...well she still is afraid of hands but she'll climb all over me, loves to sit on my head. And treats? well it took weeks before she take a Sunflower seed from my hand. Now? I have to count my fingers when she runs over and snached it out of my finger! BUT she will let me scritch her head but only when she's in her cage.

It can take time and a lot of work from both of you but it can be done it may just take a long time.

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
I have a Kakariki, Riti, that I have worked with of close to 1 1/2 years. She was so flighty and scary when I got her she'd flip out when I got near her cage. Now...well she still is afraid of hands but she'll climb all over me, loves to sit on my head. And treats? well it took weeks before she take a Sunflower seed from my hand. Now? I have to count my fingers when she runs over and snached it out of my finger!

It can take time and a lot of work from both of you but it can be done it may just take a long time.
Oh yes! Honey gets so nervous even if I make any sort of movement from my chair. Goes to her favorite spot in the corner and just sits there staring at me. With school starting soon, hopefully I'll have time to spend time with her and let her out.