• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie with severe foot issue, possibly dead foot.

BirdyBee54

Moving in
I have such a heartbreak posting this. I have 7 budgies, and one quaker. August 5th 2023, my quaker was able to unlatch her cage and got ahold of a budgie, Kiwi, right foot. I feel horrible for the accident, both cages were locked but that was the day i learned my quaker was able to open cages. I panicked, did everything i could, and it healed as best as it could. I knew her foot was essentially dead, cause for the last two months she would come out and play with the other birds, land on me and dig in my hair, play, it never seems to bother her, so i felt comfort in knowing wirh the help of her antibiotics and me cleaning her foot it was better.
With the situation under control, extra locks, bug netting tarp over the cages if one has to have changes, birds are out, etc, i left home for a week (oct 22-28 2023). I come back and Kiwis foot is black and full of pus. She was not attacked again in any way, i guess her foot just finally unattached or cut circulation. Now im worried, its black, its hanging and i know it is bothering her. I have done nothing but panicked for the last few days, and i have this gut wrenching stress because in my location no vet is willing to look at her, all my rescues i have taken care of this far have done wonderful, ive been able to pick them up, anything from tumors to mites, but this is my most severe case. I hate that it happened- not to turn the guilt on me but i only feel as if its my fault. Im unsure what to do.
She is in a small isolated cage (small because i purposely do not want her jumping around, she loves to play and i hate to take that from her), shes eating; but she is definetly cleaning her foot 24-7 and falling more.

im sorry i essentially came here to rant. Im just unsure, thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you share your location some of our members may be able to help you find a vet.

If the foot is dead and hanging and black then it really needs to be removed by someone who can offer pain control and all the other things needed for the best outcome for your little one.

BirdyBee54

Moving in
I am in Madisonville, KY. I have called out to within 1-3 hours driving distance, and one vet i have called ER only did 150$ front deposit; embarrassingly i dont have upfront but would gladly pay off later.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm sorry to hear this , accident do happen.

This has to be addressed , it's life threatening, and the pain is likely immense. All this nasty bacteria is also getting spread around your home.

It's hard for me to imagine any veterinarian turning away a bird suffering like this. I would myself show up in person, it's much harder to be turned away in person with the poor wee one, and will often work with you.

You can also call your local wildlife rescue/ rehab and ask them the veterinarian they use . As the most certainly treat birds .

Reactions: tka

BirdyBee54

Moving in
I'm sorry to hear this , accident do happen.

This has to be addressed , it's life threatening, and the pain is likely immense. All this nasty bacteria is also getting spread around your home.

It's hard for me to imagine any veterinarian turning away a bird suffering like this. I would myself show up in person, it's much harder to be turned away in person with the poor wee one, and will often work with you.

You can also call your local wildlife rescue/ rehab and ask them the veterinarian they use . As the most certainly treat birds .
Thank you, i will try today to drive out with her

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Xoetix sent me this, hopefully it helps!

I found these vets near Madisonville KY - She can also call any regular vet and ask for recommendations, I've never come across a clinic that didn't have a list of numbers for different types of vets/rehabs/etc

Both of these mention exotics, so not avian specific, but better than nothing :)

IMG_7946.png IMG_7945.png

BirdyBee54

Moving in
Thank you. I have called both, pennyrile does not work on avians- dr paul is a wonderful vet but he has told me upfront he does not want to put any budgies in harm if he does not how to work on them. Thank you, i truly appreciate it

BirdyBee54

Moving in
UPDATE ON THIS POST!
Kiwi’s foot has been amputated. Considering she has been learning life with a foot issue before this, she is used to standing on her healthy foot as is now. Today i caught her wiggeling her little leg nub and i couldnt help but giggle. Before it came off, she was on antibiotics and the foot turned completely black and cold, it died. Kiwi seems so extremely relieved her footie is now off and she is a free budgie with nothing holding her back. Updates to come!

( I apologize i was so late on the update, i forgot my password to this site and just now found that i put the password in my notes… LOL!)