• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie teenager phase?

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys! I have had my two budgies for about 3 months now, and they are both around 8 months old. I have one male and one female, the male named Kiwi and the Female named Winter. Currently I can tell that they are both in a molt as there are a lot of dropped feathers at the bottom of the cage but I have one extra concern. Both my budgies love to come out of the cage and play with me, but recently Winter has been more grumpy and bites (really hard). When Winter bites me, Kiwi does too so I fear that he is obtaining this sort of behaviour. Whenever I take them out of the cage just to fly about, Winter always wants to go back in, when Kiwi doesn’t he will still follow her around. Is this some sort of teenager phase and will it pass soon? I’m quite new to this sort of stuff so I joined these forums! Thanks!

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
Just to add in, Kiwi still has pinfeathers on his head, and I’m not sure they’re in the breeding mood since Winter still has a light blue cere with white rings and Kiwi has a purple one. Kiwi is starting to bite more now whenever my hand is in the cage to change their food and water so I hope this is a phase and will pass soon.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
It’s because they’re molting. When they molt they tend to get grumpy. I don’t think it can be a “teenager phase”, because they are not teenagers yet. If a teenage phase were to happen I think it would be while they are broody or hormonal. Along with that, my budgies are the same age and genders, and they only get like that while molting. Here is a helpful link: Budgie Moulting | Budgie Behaviour | Budgies | Guide | Omlet UK

Moonstar12

Meeting neighbors
It’s because they’re molting. When they molt they tend to get grumpy. I don’t think it can be a “teenager phase”, because they are not teenagers yet. If a teenage phase were to happen I think it would be while they are broody or hormonal. Along with that, my budgies are the same age and genders, and they only get like that while molting. Here is a helpful link: Budgie Moulting | Budgie Behaviour | Budgies | Guide | Omlet UK
Thank you! They have stopped moulting now and all is well! But thanks again!