• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie/Parakeet threw up White foamy substance

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi my sister (Budgie/parakeet) Kony threw up earlier around 10:10 pm est, she then threw up a second time soon after about 5 minutes later. She did not throw up any seeds but she did throw up a white foamy substance. I took a few photos of it just incase anyone wants to see they can send me a message. Im not sure if im allowed to post photos here but what she threw up seems white and bubbly/foamy. I know she recently recovered from a bacterial infection and her poop seems to be mostly a dark color with a huge white/cream colored center. Im not sure what she has but Im taking her to the vet asap. I just want to know what should I do. Also when she threw up she bobed her head up and down while shaking a lot and seemed to sneeze at the same time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad you are getting her to the vet soon.
In the meantime, keep her calm, in a quiet area of the house. Monitor her closely.
Keep notes on when she was sick and other symptoms so you can inform the vet.

I hope she will be ok!

redrose27

Strolling the yard
@Zara Thank you I also noticed she was doing a regurgitating like action over and over again and each time she did it she would immediatly start eating seeds, do the action, then eat seeds again and when I turned the light off in my room to sleep she freaked out (had a mini seizure) so I left the light on. I was not sure if I should take her food out of her cage or not. I just left it in there unsure of how to react or what to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay. I would leave the food in. She needs to keep up her strength. I hope you can get her to a vet soon.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Glad you are getting her to the vet soon.
In the meantime, keep her calm, in a quiet area of the house. Monitor her closely.
Keep notes on when she was sick and other symptoms so you can inform the vet.

I hope she will be ok!
So I went to the vet and I dont know what to do. I broke down crying when I got home. Shes staying the night at the vet because she has high red blood cell count and she was dehydrated. Im not sure what could have caused it they said her poop looked fine but the toys in her cage might have been the reason. Mainly a rusty bell. Before the vet had seen this and said it was fine but now it might be the reason shes staying at the vets. Now im scared im not sure what to do or if shell be ok. The vet said they would xray her to see if there was any metal or lead issues. But I dont know what to expect and im worried. I never spent a night without kony and I have no idea if she will be ok when we pick her up tomorrow. I tried calling family but they dont see kony the way I do. Dad just talk about money, mom says shes sorry but by her tone she dosent mean it and my brother is just trying to get me to stop crying but I cant. Im scarred and worried. And my family dosent care for kony the way I do. My dad even started talking about getting another bird if she leaves. How could he say that shes not leaving shes not supposed to. Im not feeling any better and I really just need someone to tell me it will be ok. If anyone has experienced this please tell me it will be ok.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Oh I’m sorry heavy metal poisoning it’s not something easy to deal with :( I don’t have lots of experience with it
@Hankmacaw
But I do know what it feels when your family doesn’t understand the way we see our birds. Even though my mom has changed lately and is more careful about who cares for Baylee and such. But she used to be like that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry. I hope Kony will be ok.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry she’s sick, and I hope she recovers quickly. It’s sad that your family doesn’t understand, but at least you have us!
:sadhug2:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww I´m so sorry this is all happening :(

But you did great getting her to the vet, and they seem to be a good vet figuring out what the problem was so quickly! That will be in your favour on the road to recovery :)
Maybe you could use this time to look over Kony´s cage and double check everything is safe and in good condition. Anything rusty or broken can be removed, any toys made with metals you don´t know what they are, remove them. It might help you feel a bit better, and give you something to focus on. Maybe make her a new toy with some toy parts so she has a nice treat when she is home? :)

I´m sorry noone understands how you are feeling right now, but like @Tiel Feathers said, you have us :) And there´s usually someone online here if you need someone to talk to :hug9:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately, we can't expect everyone to feel the way we do about our birds. Once you accept that fact, you will feel much better. The Dr.s will figure out what is wrong with Kony and determine a treatment plan for her. It is your job to be there for her and not panic and do exactly what the Dr.s tell you to do. That is how you help Kony the most.

Dehydration causes red blood cells to be to high because there is not as much fluid in the blood due to their being dehydrated. They will give her fluids and that will be cured.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hello how is Kony doing @redrose27 what did the vet say?
I got her back home they gave her fluids just like @Hankmacaw said and now shes home shes been sleepy mostly. I had to give her seeds by putting them on my hand she drang water once but I just tried to offer her some and she refused. The doctor perscribed 4 medicines 2 by mouth and 2 in the water but im still scared and cying due to uncertainty I got really scared by one medicine that said its for liver inflammation. I just want her to be healthy again. And no one is home to help me with this so im alone. Im trying to stay calm but its really hard to.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I got her back home they gave her fluids just like @Hankmacaw said and now shes home shes been sleepy mostly. I had to give her seeds by putting them on my hand she drang water once but I just tried to offer her some and she refused. The doctor perscribed 4 medicines 2 by mouth and 2 in the water but im still scared and cying due to uncertainty I got really scared by one medicine that said its for liver inflammation. I just want her to be healthy again. And no one is home to help me with this so im alone. Im trying to stay calm but its really hard to.
Maybe just leave the food in her bowl and let her eat on her own accord.
weighing her and keeping a log would be helpful.

Are you managing to give her the meds ok?
Try not to cry or get upset, I know you are worried, but try to be as calm as possible as that will help calm your bird :hug9:

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Maybe just leave the food in her bowl and let her eat on her own accord.
weighing her and keeping a log would be helpful.

Are you managing to give her the meds ok?
Try not to cry or get upset, I know you are worried, but try to be as calm as possible as that will help calm your bird :hug9:
Yea shes taking the meds fine. But I did have to take all the toys out of her cage because of the metal in them so now shes in an empty cage. Im not sure what metal they had but I took them all out regardless but now she has nothing to entertain herself with and I still need to get her a new cage. Normally we get her cages from pet smart or petco since they are local.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have a look around your home, do you have paper cupcake cases? Or kitchen roll tubes? Clean egg cartons? Maybe you could DIY something and then order her some toys online from a safe store :)

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Have a look around your home, do you have paper cupcake cases? Or kitchen roll tubes? Clean egg cartons? Maybe you could DIY something and then order her some toys online from a safe store :)
I dont really have anything to DIY with at the moment since its all currently in use. My best bet is to just entertain her myself and wait till saturday when my mom finally comes home and can take me to the store to buy some. I cant really order online since that will take longer and I dont know what can happen to the toys during shipping. My only option is pet smart or pet co.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Only Stainless Steel toys. And also water and food bowls. Like this one. There are several good vendors here in AA that sell SS toys.
Petsmart and Petco are good but sometimes they sell bird toys that aren’t Stainless steel and they look like if they were but after sometime they get rusty. I had a experience 6 years ago where I went to Petsmart with my sister and got some toys for Baylee one of the toys it said SS toy so just a few days before I returned to my country this toy rusted horrible I managed to go and change it for another one. image.jpg

Last edited:

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Only Stainless Steel toys. And also water and food bowls. Like this one. There are several good vendors here in AA that sell SS toys.
Petsmart and Petco are good but sometimes they sell bird toys that aren’t Stainless steel and they look like if they were but after sometime they get rusty. I had a experience 6 years ago where I went to Petsmart with my sister and got some toys for Baylee one of the toys it said SS toy so just a few days before I returned to my country this toy rusted horrible I managed to go and change it for another one. View attachment 361500
Thanks do you happen to know any brands at petsmart and petco that are definietly stainless steel also im assuming stainless steel is safe for birds to interact with right? And Im also looking to get her a new cage from there since the current one is rusty in some places. For now im trying to encourage her to eat and drink but she refuses the water unless im really persistent but she eats food fine. She knows where the water is and everything. I just dont see her drinking it as much as eating the food and the water has medicine in it.