• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie not getting better

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Hi, so I’ve given my budgie 2 rounds of different antibiotics prescribed by my vet. She seems to get better each time but then her symptoms come back. Now we have moved house and my budgies are still getting used to the environment, I’ve cleaned and hoovered everywhere, left the windows open when they’re in the cage since it has been very hot and sunny and have just ordered an air purifier that’s coming today.

My problem is the female seems to be breathing heavily occasionally (not that often) that I can hear it, and I heard a few clicking sounds while she was sneezing earlier today. They have both also had a couple wet sneezes although I am not sure whether this is down to them having more water due to the hot weather. I don’t know whether any of her symptoms are down to nerves because of the move but the sneezes make me think otherwise.

I have another vet appointment booked so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it but has anyone else had any similar experiences? I try to keep my budgies as healthy as possible, I clean their cage every day, have got them onto a mostly pellet and veg diet and I make sure they get plenty of time out. I don’t know what is causing this at all.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The important thing when there's more than one bird is anything contagious will be shared - all will be infected, so all will need treating.
After antibiotics I recommend probiotics, something you should discuss with your vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m glad you have an appointment booked. I hope everything goes well and you and your vet can get to the bottom of this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not all respiratory illnesses are bacteria, aka respond to antibiotics. Has your vet done any cultures?

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Not all respiratory illnesses are bacteria, aka respond to antibiotics. Has your vet done any cultures?
They did a gram stain but that came back clear, and they’re conscious about taking blood due to her size. They did say if the antibiotics didn’t work they would look at other avenues - but the antibiotics did help her symptoms. Before she was prescribed her first antibiotic (baytril) she was wheezing one night, and after a few doses she seemed to be better. Then we heard the breathing and tail bobbing again and she got a bit better with the next antibiotic. I will explain all of this to him but if it wasn't bacteria I don’t think she would’ve shown any improvement with the antibiotics

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
The important thing when there's more than one bird is anything contagious will be shared - all will be infected, so all will need treating.
After antibiotics I recommend probiotics, something you should discuss with your vet.
I did take both of them to the vets but he didn’t think that what she had was contagious and the boy did not have any symptoms and his breathing sounded clear. If there were any other avian vets in the area I would take them for a second opinion but unfortunately this is the only one near me

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
So, update - I was given a 4 week course of baytril and karidox to give to both of my birds. The fact that my little girl was getting better each time we’d give her the antibiotics made the vet think that it is a bacterial infection otherwise there wouldn’t have been any effect, so hopefully they get better after this course! Fingers crossed!!